Monday, October 19, 2009

October 19th

And then (some story left out... this is the edited version) there you were!

Beautiful. Warm. Squirmy. Crying.
Looking around like you were oh-so-puzzled at the scenery change.

Everything was so opposite the year before. It was stunning. Even a year later I can't quite wrap my mind around the significance of it all.
It was the 19th of October. One year (plus a half-hour) since the last time I felt your sister move.

Who am I to question the wisdom of a God who gave, then took and then gave again in an abundant and incomprehensible way?
I had to remind Daddy to get the camera. It was good it was ready to go - because all he wanted to do was stare at you. It is amazing he found it with his eyes trained on the warmer where our doctor was giving you your first check-up. :)
There were no tears for either of us, much to my surprise. I think I was just in shock that after everything - all the waiting, praying, fighting anxiety... you were here.
I called your Nana and Papa at 4 in the morning with the announcement that I was ready to tell them your name. :) They were the first of many who shed tears of joy one year ago with the words, "Praise God!".

And today, Peyton Grace Elaine, I shed tears of pure happiness for the gift of you.

Your preciousness is magnified one-million-fold because of the events that preceded your birth. I have been changed by God for you. You're sick and cranky with a runny nose... and I am still so humbled and awed by the opportunity to become your mother exactly one year after I had to say goodbye to Autumn.
Happy birthday, my little-love.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Jen said...

So sweet. I've enjoyed reading these posts. Thanks for sharing.
Happy Birthday little girl!

Unknown said...

Blessings upon blessings to all of you!! Our God is amazing and cares for us soooo much. I still get goosebumps at the power of our God to bring Peyton on the very day you last knew Autumn alive.
I praise the God of heaven and earth who did this for you (despite what you wanted) because it is the best FOR YOU!
Oh, I love Him today a little more!!
Hugs & Kisses to you all
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet Peyton. I remember reading about her birth last year with tears of joy pouring down my face ... I had to call Carl at work and tell him about the timing (he was confused but once I stopped crying and explained a bit more coherently, he rejoiced too, lol). God is so good!

Mrs Manz said...

hey! (to all you who comment and laugh about her serious frowns)
Did you notice that in the first two pictures she is doing the EXACT same thing? Funny! :)
k.

kelly ens said...

happy birthday to your beautiful, perfect gift. thanks for sharing the story this way - it was enjoyable to read. so beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful story. An even more wonderful blessing. Praise God! Indeed. Thank you for sharing and happy happy birthday baby girl =)

Carol said...

Enjoyed reading your posts leading up to Peyton's birth! Happy 1st Birthday to Peyton!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Peyton! You all continue to be in my thoughts!

Sheila J

Alissa said...

Happy Birthday Peyton...so many think of you and have never met you!

Julie Cortens said...

Happy Birthday Peyton!!
Love,David and Julie

Beth said...

Happy 1st B-day beautiful Peyton...your first year of life has brought so much joy to more people than you can ever know!!! I can't believe our babies are a year old already and like you said when you look back it is still in amazement of all that the past two years have brought about....Hope it was a GREAT day for all of you guys!!!

Anonymous said...

Kendall.
You are such a beautiful woman! This post shows it! Happy Birthday Beautiful Peyton! Blessings.
Kathy