Thursday, March 31, 2011

Little Miss Muffet

A few years back I got bit by a spider - and it caused a serious-enough reaction that I could not move my left arm. The doctor gave me a mega-strong antibiotic to counteract any possible infection - and that was that.

(I remember thinking out loud to my South African doctor at the time, "Geez. Isn't the supposed lack of poisonous spiders one of the reasons why I live in Canada?")

Anyway, life after that was kinda paranoid about spiders for a while. Every little tickle I'd feel, every little brush of my own hair on my neck or cheek.... blech. I'd throw back the covers on my bed each night to just make sure there wasn't anything lurking there to feast on my flesh.

Eventually I got over it.

The other night - about 1:30 am to be precise - I felt a tickle on my face/neck area. Enough that it woke me up. My thought process went something like this:

"That feels like a spider crawling."

"Naw... you always think that and it never is."

"It's probably just my own hair."

"Yep... that's all it is. Relax and go back to sleep."

And - feat of amazing feats - I did just that.

The next morning when I made the bed I noticed a black rolled up ball of something by my pillow. Upon closer examination I made a horrified gasp.

I threw back the covers and sure enough - evidence of a spider. Pieces of it were strewn through the whole length of the bed.

I immediately got itchy. Then I examined myself from head-to-toe for bite marks. But - in this case, anyway - it looks like this spider was simply jaywalking in the wrong place at the wrong time. As in - that stupid sucker was crawling across my face and neck when I brushed "my hair" out of the way.

My one consolation is that he looks to have died a horribly violent death.

Ick.

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Ew!! This grosses me out to no end. Spiders do not belong in the bed! Glad you "got" the little sucker :)

kelly ens said...

ICK!

Sarah MacMillan {Prairie Perch} said...

Ick is right! I remember waking to a spider crawling into my ear one morning a few years ago. Thankfully he didn't make it in before I was able to pick him out. Still gives me the shivers!

Unknown said...

Been there. Done that. Did not enjoy it.

Laura said...

LOL! I'm sorry about the spider, but I love that you are taking solace in the fact that he's not only dead, but it was an awful death.

Julianne said...

haha! Great tale! I always have the same fear when I put my foot into a slipper....visions of that scene in 'Arachnophobia" come to mind where the old guy gets bit. Spiders....blechh!!! =-P

Allie said...

That is horrifying! Eeeek!

I hope you're not still worrying about it happening again or anything. It doesn't seem like the kind of thing that can rationally happen very often. So now you're probably good for a few years or something! Hehe. :)