Monday, December 6, 2010

Joy

Last night at about 12:30 am Tenley and I were both awake.
I was trying to sleep - but hearing her little baby-noises coming from the bassinet made it difficult. She wasn't fussing - just 'talking'.

Then all of a sudden it hit me:
We came really close to losing her this week. I have no doubt that without the medical attention she received, she would have sustained long-term injury, or worse. The beautiful, sweet, content little girl who has only been part of our lives for 3 weeks could have been lost to us so easily. It happens to others... why not to us?

I clearly remember how I would have given anything in the weeks after Autumn died to spend sleepless nights with my baby.

So with a prayer of thanks to the Lord that the reason I wasn't able to sleep was those very sweet baby-noises, I clicked on the light and picked her up.

Kurt - fortunately - can sleep through pretty much anything... because she and I had a conversation about how good Jesus is, and how much I love her and am thankful that God has given her to me.

Eyes wide open, she gave the impression of listening intently.
And then it happened.

She smiled at me.

Three times. While singing to me.
And there was no gas involved, either. ('cause you bet I was listening for it even as I was exalting in the toothless grin...)

Today I was taking her one-month piggy pictures: and just in case I could have thought it was a fluke, she did several repeats of the same big grin.
Peyton didn't smile until she was almost 11 weeks: after Christmas.

Tenley isn't even 4-and-a-half weeks old.

I woke Kurt up with an exclaimed, "Look honey! She's smiling!"
I think he raised his head off the pillow and muttered, "That's great..." but since I'm highly doubting he remembers that exchange, I guess it's a good thing she's in the mood to repeat. (chuckle)

What a gift this child is... the joy in my heart today is overwhelming.
Thank you, thank you for your prayers and love: here and on facebook and in private emails... I am a blessed woman to have friends who care and reach out.

The song on my music player while I type is Light Up The Sky. It's the very last one (#42)... Give it a listen - crank it up, even. I dare you. (grin)

With palms open and up, eyes closed, and tears nearing the surface - it's my prayer regarding the events of the past week.

Love to all...

9 comments:

Jen said...

So sweet.
SO glad you are all feeling better ESPECIALLY Tenley!
Love the smiles!

Ashley said...

What an amazing little smile Tenley has! I am so glad you got to experience this moment and that she is safe and much healthier now. *hugs*

Carol said...

Amazing to be smiling like this at 4 1/2 weeks! She is one thankful little girl to have a mommy like you! Glad she is doing so well!

kelly ens said...

SO precious!!!!
Ezra was an early smiler too...3 weeks! (hard to believe when the older one took SOOOOO much longer, hey?)

Amy said...

This was so good to read and I love seeing her cute little toothless smile.

Murray said...

That smile is the real deal. It is as if she knows the rest of the sovereign God of grace!

Hannah said...

Kendall,
I am so sorry for the difficult week you had, but what a blessing to have it end this way!

Julie Cortens said...

It's the real McCoy and Tenley's way of saying "Thank you for being my mama"

Unknown said...

And a beautiful smile it is!!!