Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A Tale of Two Bugs

The other day at Superstore they had boxes of bananas that had not been unpacked yet. The bananas that were peeking through the cardboard were bright and fresh and firm looking... unlike the ones on display which were looking pathetically limp and showing some signs of wear and tear.

- and on a side note I was there at 10 am and the fruit was already picked over. Good grief...

Anyway, all the other customers were sticking their hands into the half-opened boxes to grab the fresh, plump new fruit and I was halfway there, too. When all of a sudden I thought, "Black Widow Spider."

Perhaps I am an ignorant Northerner. You know - that one that goes to Arizona or Texas and expects rattlesnakes to be in the toilet? That's me.

I try to not be controlled by these expectations that the locals would label as totally irrational... but geez... don't some Americans come to Canada and expect to see Polar Bears on the lawn?

Ha! You see? I am justified!

I think I've watched one too many episodes of 'Rescue NINE-One-One'. (Remember the way William Shatner used to say it??? Spooky...)

You know: it's that episode. When they zoom in on the little spider that has been uprooted from it's South American home and slowly craawwwlllssss onto the fresh banana and BITES with lighting-fast accuracy the unsuspecting Canadian's hand. And the Canadian woman says, "ouch!" then rubs her hand all puzzled-like and goes on with her business until the coma sets in and the local doctors don't know what to do because it isn't like there are a lot of Black Widow bites in Saskatoon, right?

Well, I all but heard William Shatner narrating as my hand drew near to the banana box.

Suffice to say that semi-bruised bananas graced my fruit bowl this week. Which leads to another issue.

Fruit flies. Fruit flies make me say, "AAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!" There is actually one flying around my head as I type so that above exclamation really just happened. It's like blogging in Real Time! Don't you feel connected?

While within the top 5 of things I hate with a passion that could lead to irrationality - they are not deadly. To my knowledge, there have been no fruit fly stories on 'Rescue NINE-One-One' .

Remind me of that as I teeter on the edge of sanity dealing with the little suckers... 'cause I'm wondering if mine could be the first case for mister Shatner.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

can i just tell you how much i despise fruit flies too! i wish i knew how to get rid of them!!

Jen said...

I used to LOOOOVE that show!!! Remember unsolved mysteries right after (before?) it?!?! Ahh, those were the days!
FUNNY thing.....our little po-dunk town had to shut down it's grocery store one day because there was a tarantula found in the bananas!!!!!
So maybe you are a little more thankful for your fruit flies and the fact that you grabbed the not so great bananas ;)

Mrs Manz said...

THANK-YOU, Jen! :)

Anonymous said...

Something that has worked for me to get rid of fruit flies - put about a 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar into a glass cup and add a few drops of dishwashing detergent to the glass. Leave it on your kitchen counter and you should begin to see dead flies floating in the cup.
Lynda

R.A. said...

Aw...Shatner! I remember those days.

Funny, too, I just posted about BROWN Widow Spiders. They're all the rage these days in California, but they're orginally from Africa. I just wonder what sort of fruit came they stowed away on to get here...

What? No polar bears on your front lawn? Seriously???

Kim said...

Hilarious! And justified. If it had been me I think I would have gone home bananaless, since the fruit flies -though not deadly- are way too annoying. As I recall, when I was in high school the town grocery store found a black widow in their bananas. Yiy.

And speaking of Unsolved Mysteries...man, that show used to freak the crap outta me. I can still vividly remember one about ghosts where a loaf of bread kept getting moved from the counter to the floor, but no one touched it. oooo-weeeee-ooooo! I think I went to bed with the light on after watching it.(Come on, I was 8)

Lindsay said...

I remember that show. You're funny! :)

Dianna said...

I have trouble with fruit flies right now I'm blaming it on the bananas

Anonymous said...

hahaha....this is the funniest posting thread....I would have done the very same thing with the bananas!!! I am always freaked out about putting my feet into slippers in the dark too....thanks to 'arachnophobia'...that movie gave (gives!) me the creeps!!
And I agree with the poster above who said unsolved mysteries gave her the creeps...my mom made me stop watching because I couldn't sleep for days afterwards! Rescue 911 rocked though....think it was partially responsible for my joining the medical community as a nurse....LOL!!
Hope you are all doing well!!
Julianne