Friday, January 15, 2010

Haiti

I'm shocked at the images I'm seeing on the television. It brings back memories of the tsunami... the total loss is heartbreaking.

When the tsunami hit, I was at a different stage in my life. A student. Poor. No kids. Debt up to my yazoo and still a couple of years away from my degree and paychecks.

And let's face it: I was 6 years less-sanctified. It was a tragedy, yes - but our government would help, right? That's why we pay taxes, after all. :) There was the realization that Saskatchewan is probably the safest place in the world to live - but the intense thankfulness for that fact was missing.

But this time? I look at those little children on the news and tears come to my eyes. I'm a mommy now. And the thought of something like that happening my my precious little girl has opened me up to real compassion. If my daughter were left an orphan, with death and disease and starvation all around her - would someone help?

I am thankful to my core that the floor doesn't shake. It's cold here, I know. But I have a coat! No oceans, no hurricanes, no volcanos - we don't even have poisionous snakes or bugs!

And God has been kind to me in other ways, too. I don't worry about feeding my daughter. We get irritated when all we have left in the pantry is Kraft Dinner. (chuckle) But good grief! It's food - and there is more at the store just down the street!

And don't get me wrong: I'm not feeling guilty that we have peace and safety. I don't think we should feel guilty about gifts - just thank the Giver! But what I do feel is a intense desire to help. To give with the mind that I have been given much... and it's a joy to do.

Abraham Piper linked this site on his blog: I encourage you to not only read but feel.

Donate. Feed babies. Clothe children who have no one else to care for them. And pray for the people whose jobs just got a lot harder.

I am.

4 comments:

Mrs Manz said...

This is the note I got after I donated via the PayPal link on the site(I asked them to use it for food and formula for the babies):
--
Formula for the babies. Got it. (snip-snip)
These events have deeply impacted us and the people we serve. RHFH will direct your gift towards relieving some of the suffering those in our village are enduring as well as sustaining the work and ministry we were committed to prior to the earthquake. (snip-snip) we are thankful for individuals that sacrifice to help improve the quality of life of the Haitian people and point them towards Jesus Christ.
Casey Zachary
Real Hope For Haiti, Vice President

--

R.A. said...

Thanks for posting that link! I'd heard mention of an earthquake in Haiti, but I've been news-less the past week and had no idea the devastation. Thanks for passing that on, so we can pray.

Carol said...

It has hit us close to home as the Canadian nurse killed by the earthquake was the mother of a friend of ours from our church. The medical missions team that she was a part of had just arrived in Haiti hours before.

Mrs Manz said...

Oh wow, Carol. I had heard about that group... I'm so sorry! :(