Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Memories

I did it again tonight.
Found myself in Peyton's room - cuddling her while she slept in my arms.
Such a big girl now - she stretches from my shoulders to just above my knees when she's all flopped out. :)

I've heard the second pregnancy after a loss is a challenge. I've found that my third is causing some struggles.
Even the way this baby moves reminds me of Autumn.
Maybe because my second pregnancy was so close to my first - in a lot of ways they seemed to blend into one, two-year (almost!) experience... and the end result was Peyton.

But - there have been some mornings and I've woken with a sense of panic. I haven't felt the baby move. I remember the morning of the day we found out Autumn died. How absurdly normal it was. How I must have walked around for hours without the awareness that she had slipped away...
This baby squirms around at night while I'm reading - I remember how very similar Autumn's last movements were. Her last movements.
I remember stretching out our firstborn daughter on that hospital bed and taking her all in: her tiny perfection - and I remember weeping with the futility of it all.

Oh God.
My prayers are so feeble.
There have been more tears in the last week then in the last 6 months.
In church on Sunday I looked at my picture of her and cried. Exactly what emotion was behind it, I'd be hard pressed to give an accurate answer.
At the baby shower, watching another of my friends expect her first with eager anticipation, I ached. Not with jealousy. Not with anger. Just with memories - remembering planning and hoping and being so close to meeting our firstborn...
On the way home, I cried as I told Kurt about the shower. I cried for me: for hope deferred. For my baby girl who never took a breath. For Kurt, who spent a lifetime with Autumn - holding her for two hours in a leather rocking chair in the room she was born in.
But that's been the case lately.

This morning, while drinking coffee I flashed back to locking myself in the bathroom at my parent's house after the funeral. It was easily 2 or 3 in the morning - and I couldn't breathe. I sat down on the edge of the tub and wept. Deep, wracking, lack-of-breath sobs that knocked me out of a sitting position and left me curled in the fetal position on the floor. My baby girl was gone and she was never coming back. The terrible finality of it was so overwhelming. Months of hope replaced by... what? There were no clear answers.

My mom was the one who heard me - still tuned to the noises her children make when all is not well. She knocked softly and came in. I heard her whisper, "Oh Kendall." and then she sat on the floor beside me and rocked me like a baby. I remember her saying she wished she could take it for me as she wept.
Me too.
27 years old... happy marriage, career in place - but wishing with all my might that my mommy could just make it better again. That part of the memory has become really clear as Peyton is daily healed by my kisses. I know now - in a very small way as I have only dealt with a toddler's woes - how hard that must have been for my mom to watch her only daughter crumpled on the floor in grief and not be able to do anything.

I remember so clearly how the tears never really helped for a very long time - they just left me empty. Remembering that despair is hard. That is the pit that God took me out off. The fear of falling back in does funny things to my heart.

Flash forward.
Do I believe lightning can strike twice? Do I trust odds, or the God who loves me?
I hold Peyton and am thankful for the reminder that He can make healthy babies. But I don't take anything as proof I shall have another healthy child. This reality has never changed. The difference is in how I react to it. Do I cower? Or do I stand?

As of now, God is giving me strength to stand. And all the while, this little child squirms and wiggles... her 'sweet spot' mere finger-breadths from where Autumn's was. So bittersweet.

The memories are part of my history. But more than that, they've molded the woman I am. So I'm not fighting them right now. I'm walking in with a deep breath. Talking through stuff with Kurt... and taking lots of time to hug and cuddle my almost 2-year-old child of grace.

I'm also letting myself cry again. But the difference is that the tears don't leave me empty anymore. They're actually making me feel better. The despair is gone. I'm overwhelmingly grateful to God.

We're getting there...
Thanks for your prayers.

17 comments:

Carol said...

Well, you had me in tears this morning as I read your post! Thinking and praying for you over the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

Kendall, you are such an example to me of a grace-filled life. Thank you for being so heart-wrenchingly honest on here for all of us. I hold you and Kurt, and all your beloved children, in my prayers.

Vicki said...

Kendall, I too cried as I read your post!! You have such a way with words that I feel as if I can feel how you feel. Does that make sense - obviously I can't, but I feel the raw feelings that come through your words. I don't have that gift of words so I probably sounds like a kook...
You are an amazing woman, so strong and faith filled and I am in awe of that.
I don't know what to say but wish I could just give you a big hug!! You will be in my prayers - all of you!!!

Sarah Robbins said...

Thank you so much for your honesty. In trials, I just rest in the truth that Jesus loves to come alongside us in weakness. He loves the hurting and the healing.

I actually think of you almost every time my baby kicks. You taught me not to take anything for granted and the importance of covering my baby in prayer, all the while truly trusting the Lord with his life. Every second with my baby, even before I "meet" him, is precious to me. . .

kelly ens said...

thanks for being vulnerable in this again. keep allowing yourself to cry. i will be praying for you; God is with YOU and the BABY!

Mrs Manz said...

Thanks to all of you for your love, support and prayers. I can honestly feel them working today. :)
Hugs from me and my fam...

Kim said...

Oh Kendall, I'm in tears as I read this. Don't know what to say, except that I praise God that he is healing your heart. He's good, and enough.

Unknown said...

When I read this I thought, "How does God allow her to go so deep into despair and then grab her and thrust her into His wellspring of love..and peace? But that's just what He does. He allows sorrow to come close to overwhelming us sometimes and then like a knight in shining armor He comes...and rescues us and we ride off into the sunset with Him...safe, peaceful, and grateful for the "getting there"!
No one but God almighty has power to heal our hearts like that.
Again and always, thanks for sharing Kendall.
I'm praying for you.
And I love you!

Jen said...

Oh Kendall...my heart is aching with you, for you...for us & our babes.
Prayers & blessings to you these last weeks.
Hugs.

M or J said...

Ugh....you always make me cry! You have been blessed with the gift to be able to write out your feelings in such a way as to place the person reading right there at the scene you're describing, as though it's happening now.
My heart aches for you. If we ever get to meet I'm going to give you such a huge hug.

Heather said...

In tears over here as well ... thinking of you, your family, and this newest little babe as you round the corner towards the finish line of this pregnancy. Praying for you and the tiny little Manz inside :)

Mrs Manz said...

Thank you.
ALL of you. God used you guys and your willingness to reach out to me today in a big-time way.
Love to you all...
k.

Anonymous said...

I've read your blog for years now and never commented. I have had my own struggles with pregnancy. I understand how hard it is to not dwell on what could happen. Lean on Jesus. He understands. He weeps when you weep. He holds you in His arms. Praying for you.

Allie said...

Dear Kendall, I am so privileged to know you! You are so strong in Him and such an amazing example to us all. I will pray for you.

Love,
Allie

Kelsie-Lynn said...

Now you have me in tears. While our experiences are different they are similar. I get it in a lot of ways and I too would love to give your a big hug and probably share a few tears. You are most certainly still in my prayers, as is this new life within you.

Victoria said...

Thanks for this, Kendall. I can only imagine how much going through all this makes you long more for heaven to be with Autumn and our Savior Jesus!

Karen said...

What a blessing to be able to write exactly what your heart is experiencing. Praying for peace and am always amazed that crying washes some things away that we can see clearer afterwards.