Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Tragic Dunking of Zoe Doll

I like to encourage creative play.

It's really neat to see Peyton put pieces of "life" together. She, for example, likes to pretend to "cook" things - complete with microwave sounds.

Not exactly sure what this says for her parent's culinary example, but I digress...

Anyway, this morning, while I was getting ready for the day, she was in my bathroom with me. She had her Zoe doll and said, "Pee-ewww! Poopy!" so I encouraged her from over my shoulder to do what needed to be done for Zoe.

I meant to change the stinky diaper.

I vaguely registered the sound of the toilet lid being lifted and Peyton saying, "Potty, Zoe."
This was followed by a giggled exclamation. "Oh no! Wet toes!"

It felt like one of those slow-motion "Noooooo....oooo....oooo!" scene from a movie - but Zoe was partially dunked before I had a chance to turn around.

Ick.

It was - thankfully - just Zoe's toes that got wet.
As I sponged off the doll as best I could, I explained to Peyton that she was just supposed to pretend to potty Zoe. Which meant keeping the lid down.

With a pert little grin she replied, "Ohhh.... okay, Mommy."

Which causes me to wonder... maybe the child knew she could freak me out?

Hmm.

PS: For those of you who have sent prayers God-ward for us these past couple of days: I continue to remember - not without pain - but without the despair knocking at my door. Thanks times one-hundred million - and even that is not enough.
Much love....

4 comments:

Sarah Robbins said...

Okay that is hilarious! Another good story for at her wedding or when she has little ones of her own!

On another note, I am sure it was a typo. There is NO WAY she is already almost 2 years old!!! Yikes, where does the time go?!

Victoria said...

Well, if it makes you feel better, the other day Samantha was laughing and saying something about the toilet water and Ryan. I knew something bad was going on. Sure enough Ryan was splashing his hands in the toilet water. I guess this is life with a boy. Sammy was never particularly interested in the toilet.

Anonymous said...

I've had to have very similar conversations with Joy ... we used the stuffed animals as encouragement when she was first potty-training, we'd hold them over the toilet and say "See? Pooh Bear's going potty!" and then encourage her to try. Yeah. Good plan, until she started holding Pooh Bear over the toilet herself ... and sinking him lower and lower into it! At least stuffed animals can just get tossed in the washing machine :-)

Kim said...

Bailey has tossed numerous things in the toilet when my back was turned, including a 'baby-ah!'. Silly girls :)