Friday, April 29, 2011

A Royal Tea Party

Peyton has been looking forward to today since yesterday.

What can I say? A two-year-old's world is small. :)

Anyway - we arranged to have our satellite reconnected at midnight so that we could get up and watch the wedding at 3:30 this morning. For all the cynics: it's history. The Royals are history - which has always fascinated Kurt and I - so it was worth it. :)

Last night, I made the Devonshire cream, and Kurt made the scones. Smoked up the whole house and had a little adventure trying to keep the smoke detector from waking up our kids - but that's another story. :)

The scones with Devonshire cream and raspberry jam! I was texting Jessica in Ontario who checked to see if I really got up as planned. :)

This morning, Kurt was the first one to get up - and had a little MI when the satellite wasn't connected yet - but the advantage of it being 3:30 am was that it was super-easy to get through to Shaw - and he had it hooked up by 3:45.

He and I watched Kate arrive, marveled at her super-classy dress (okay, more me than him - but he did say, "Yeah. That's a pretty nice dress, I guess.") and watched her walk down the aisle before Tenley made noise. She joined us for the actual service. :)

Playing with Daddy's face because she was bored waiting for the balcony kiss.

My Royal wedding watchers! :)

Anyway, Peyton woke up just after the kiss - but there were enough replays going around that she got to eat her scone and drink her tea (special for this morning) and watch the "pincess" get married.

Picnic: complete with tea and scones!

It obviously impacted her, too. 'Cause later she was crowning Tenley with a teething ring and announcing, "Oh Pincess Tenley - you look bee-u-tiful!"

I - for one- enjoyed the reading of scripture and the music (thought of you, Julie C.!!!) and seeing a young couple not greeted with overwhelming cynicism was a treat. They both exuded class and elegance - so different from Hollywood. To quote Kurt, "Kate Middleton is no Paris Hilton." Understatement, anyone? (lol)

It really is important to me to take joy the happiness of others. "Rejoicing with those who rejoice" is something scripture commands us to do. Heaven knows there's plenty to weep about on a regular basis. Especially lately. But having experienced people willing to do both - weep and rejoice - for our family - it feels good to wish a new family all the best. :)

So there you go! Fun times in the Manz house - even it was ridiculously early! :)

11 comments:

Ashley said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I'm not quite so ambitious. I recorded it and am watching it Sunday afternoon instead. But I'm excited!

Unknown said...

# cheers for the Royal watchers! Hip Hip Hooray!!

Mrs Manz said...

Laur! These are the Brits we're talking about here!
I think you need to say "Hurrah!!" ;-D

Have fun watching, Ashley! :)

Sarah Robbins said...

Well, I watched it after the fact because my little princess stayed asleep (woohoo!), but I agree that is was both classy and wonderful. I thought the scripture reading as well as the sermon were excellent and timely advice for any newly married couple. I wish them well.

R.A. said...

"Joy" is not a word that exists in my vocabulary at 3:45 in the morning. I think the only thing that would cause me to smile at that time of day would be Jesus returning and calling me home. But I agree with what you said about it being so different from Hollywood. All the hype around it made me roll my eyes...like it was just a big show...but I looked at a few pictures today and was surprised at how GENUINELY happy and peaceful they looked. So different from the celebrities we're told to care about all the time. I'm glad for them.

Carol said...

I agree with your comments about the wedding! I sure thought it was worth getting up early, but am now ready for a little nap!

kelly ens said...

fantastic! :)

Julie Cortens said...

Ah yes the music was spectacular! Those young voices are so angelic. sigh. The whole thing was exquisite! And the dress couldn't have been more elegant. You have to admire a bride that has to walk down an aisle that long with that many people looking at her.
I did not get up at 3 am but did get up at 6 am and caught a good chunk of it before heading into the real world of health care.

Megan said...

That picture of your daughter sitting down with the little table is a keeper!! Sooo precious!

Lindsay said...

what a fun memory for your girls! I'll admit - 1am (PT) was too early for me; I watched the highlights the next day :)

Sarah MacMillan {Prairie Perch} said...

Fun times indeed! Oh, and Avery has been asking when Peyton is going to come over again. We'll have to plan something when we're back.