Friday, April 22, 2011

She Bakes!

Some kind of strange phenomenon has taken over our house. It's one of those "wha...???" kind of things - where no such occurrence has ever happened.

I've started to bake.

Toffee. Cookies. Popcorn variations. Cakes. Muffins.

And - here's the truly strange part - they've been turning out. Ridiculously good stuff.

other then the batch of one dozen chocolate chip banana muffins that may
*cough*.... (waving hands dismissively)...

... have been made with salt instead of sugar ...


What was that? My conscience demanding truthful transparency?
Pshaw.

Moving on!

Previously, if Kurt wanted something of a baked-nature, he kinda had to pull out the ingredients and go for it. I watched cautiously from the sidelines - lest by my simply entry to the kitchen I should cause something to burn.

I think the door opener was the toffee. For those of you who check my links at the side, I've been liberated by the "Girl Who Ate Everything" blog. When I saw the title "saltine cracker toffee" I thought to myself, "I love toffee. What the heck. I'll go look at the recipe."

And when I looked at it, I thought, "Wow. That looks easy. Foolproof, even. What the heck. I'll see if I have all the ingredients."

With all the ingredients located, the children appropriately distracted or napping, and Kurt on the phone in the other room so as not to discourage my crazy thinking with a "YOU'RE going to bake???" comment, I found I was - indeed - baking. And you know what, folks? It was freakin' delicious toffee.

What the heck???

Last night, I was waiting for Kurt to get home and was almost falling asleep on the couch. To show how truly radical this shift has been, I'll illustrate my thought process while my eyes were closing:

"Geez. I'm sleepy. I should make some cookies to stay awake."

Augh! The insanity!
It's even infringing on my subconscious!

When Kurt came in, he said something along the lines of "total silence" which was - as it appears - a big dramatic nothing.
I didn't even know he was in the kitchen until I turned around and saw him standing there with his jaw slack.

(Okay, okay. That was an exaggeration, I guess. :)
But he was shocked enough to say, "What are you doing?" even though I think it should have been somewhat obvious what with the bowl, hand-mixer and the evidence of chocolate chip cookie dough around my lips...)

To his credit, he didn't say a whole lot more after that. Even though it would not have shocked me to hear to hear:
"Where was this woman the first 8 years of marriage??"
or
"I like my new wife!"
or
(gently and with concern) "Do you think you could be having hormone issues, honey?"

I think he should just sit back and enjoy this phase. Yes. Phase. Cause I really can't see myself keeping this up. Baking is expensive and time consuming. Oh - and not to mention it completely flies in the face of that whole treadmill thing I'm trying to maintain.

And it's stressful, people! Fold this, beat that, cream slowly for an exact amount of time... use baking soda not powder, poke things with toothpicks, let it sit, take it out right away! Yada, yada, yada. Baking is so bossy and exact.

It's crazy. And I'm crazy to attempt it!
(taking a deep breath, and a mental step back from pre-bake-master Kendall's angst...)

Sigh.
All that being said, though: seeing Kurt's eyes close in satisfaction as he slowly chews one of my chocolate chip cookies - and hearing him say, "Wow. These are the best cookies I've ever had." is pretty gratifying.

So I guess - for now - I'll just go with it. :)

6 comments:

Hannah said...

Funny--because something very similar has been happening at our house. I do NOT bake, but somehow I have made a pie, some cookies, a few loafs in the past few weeks. What is going on?!
:)

Dianna said...

awww u can do it!! baking is fun!! U will get sooo relaxed doing it u will do it with ur eyes closed in a few months fr now!! ;] ;] ;]

Anonymous said...

I firmly believe the only reason people "can't" bake or cook is because they don't want to. Really there is nothing wrong with not wanting to, but I think anyone can do it, its just having the desire to do so that people lack not the ability. Go Kendall!!;)

Unknown said...

You've made me smile. I can TOTALLY relate! Before Jay I was a cook and so NOT a baker. You couldn't have nailed it any closer than you did - baked recipes are BOSSY! I'm so glad you've conquered your fear of it though. However, I would caution you that it can be addicting...once it becomes "easy"...mmmm I can smell those cookies right now...."Jay, honey? Pull out the mixer!!!!"
Love you guys!!

Victoria said...

I love baking, but I don't do it that often. I like to make wedding cakes (my newish hobby) because I know I won't be the one eating the whole thing after it's complete. Erik likes fresh baked cookies which I make occasionally, but if I bake something for us, I will eat it. No self-control in that department. At least you have newfound confidence in the baking department. It's really not that hard so long as you pay attention to what you're doing ;).

Sarah MacMillan {Prairie Perch} said...

Way to go, Momma! You're definitely showing me up in the baking department. :) Save me a cookie or two.