Thursday, June 28, 2007

The life of a nurse...

Just got home from work and thought I'd put out a quick post before taking doggy-dearest for a walk. I was only there 4 hours - supposedly a light shift. But June 28th must have felt like a good day to have a baby... and in the short period I was there, I helped with 4 admissions, 2 baths, 2 IV changes, gave 2 IV push meds, checked a fundus and talked to a lot of parents - oh, and loads of paperwork.
The down side? No coffee break.
The up side? The shift went super-quick. :)
I enjoy working postpartum so much... I think it is going to be the strangest thing to be there with my own child. Today, after helping one family - I had a vision of my husband sitting exhausted in a chair at the hospital bedside, smiling at his newborn child. And it was like, "Wow! Lord-willing that is going to be us!" :)
Anyway, since I was on a blog-roll (so to speak) I thought I'd put up a quizz:

Does anyone out there know what the strange instrument I am holding to my head is for? I don't have prizes to give away... but you will be publicly esteemed and lauded on my blog if you figure it out. :)
Here is a hint: it has something to do with labour and delivery (see all the pictures behind me?).
Happy guessing!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the quiz:
Something to do with listening to the baby before birth??

Please...do tell. I don't remember anything like it from my experiences.(maybe I had my mind on other things...like birthing ;-)

Love you!
Oh-and Lori, if you read the comments...Kendall's uniforms are great! Nice job!

Mrs Manz said...

Good job mom!
It's an old fashioned fetal heart-rate monitor. The idea is that there is extra-sensitivity picked up by the frontal (forehead) bone... completely obsolete in today's techology-reliant world. I doubt they even used them in 1980...
But they are kept around just in case the electronic fetal heart monitors fail... :) And to show the new grads how much better things are in this day and age. (chuckle)
That is actually an older picture - from my rotation on the birthing unit... the uniform doesn't really fit now. Sigh. :)

Victoria said...

Shucks, I thought it was a breathalizer--you know for all those intoxicated babies...

Mrs Manz said...

LOL - yeah, Victoria... Soused babies are a big problem with all the pain meds.
I hope you weren't planning on getting one of those (DA-DA-DUUUMMMM!) epidurals... ;-D
Kidding in the biggest way - I myself am actually stuck in that debate... I'll let you know what I decide.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendall: This is my second try at sending a comment I did not realize I had to publish it until I phoned and talked with Kurt. I will try to remember what I said and re do it. Actually I do remember telling you that the fence certainly did not look like the same one we saw a few days ago, however it will give your very industrious husband more excuses to be outside enjoying the sun and hopefully at no financial cost to you two. I like your uniform and seeing you sit at that desk I must say if you didn;t have the chart in front of you I would be hard pressed to believe you are as busy as you claim. Just kidding I know how very busy it can be. My quess on the instrument is a newer version of a fetal heart monitor howevr remember things were very different from 1956 to 2007 when I was in the same field. I really enjoyed MY time with you and Jessica and of course I always love spending time with my VERY SPECIAL GIFT FROM GOD (MY ONE AND ONLY DAUGHTER JAN) Hey Kurt you are doing an awesome job in your yard I was very impressed. God is so good placing you and Kendall together and soon a wonderful miracle an up coming addition a real baby. We are really looking forward to your baby we just know you will be good parents. Guess who loves you WE DO

Mrs Manz said...

Hi Gramma,
I enjoyed my time with you and "the girls" too... thanks for making a reply on my blog - I appreciate the effort you put into doing it. :)I'm sure the fence won't be a big issue - the majority of damage isn't actually on our side - so we'll see! Talk to you soon!
Lots of love
kendall

Julie Cortens said...

Hi kendall. Still used the Fetoscope in 1980 but I guess not long after that since the Doppler was becoming more available. Used to be only one on the ward back then. The Fetoscope was standard fare in my day...guess that makes me kinda old now. :)

Mrs Manz said...

LOL - shows how much I know: I didn't even know it was called a Fetoscope! :) Thanks for checking out the blog, Julie. :)