Saturday, June 9, 2007

Wanna buy a cheap dog?

He's done it... officially turned into a "bad dog". It started before convocation - but after - it skyrocketed. It was little things. "Tiny rebellions". We'd call him to come, and he'd look at us, raise his eyebrows as if to say, "Make me, sucker." and run away. Kurt would give chase and punish... I being pregnant am not about to chase a silly dog around the yard (including behind the bushes where he thinks he's untouchable... for purposes of moi, he is untouchable there). We'd say, "No, Oscar." and he'd look at us and do it anyway... or, worse, look away - pretending he didn't hear us - and do it anyway. But the breaking straw - alluded to by my mother's reply in the last post - was post-convocation on Tuesday.

We came home after a few hours away and the living room floor was covered in the remains of a board game (which I like!). Not only that, but the box was chewed up, the parts were chewed up, and a few of the marbles ("points") were mysteriously missing. Ugh. Furthermore, the garbage bag from the office was on the floor with it's contents strewn about. Fortunately, it was just paper... shredded, but only paper. We walked into the bathroom to find the contents of that garbage emptied all over the floor... and all that remained of a formerly full roll of toilet paper was a lonely, brown cardboard tube. He ate the toilet paper.

By then, I was feeling a little irritated (plus our AC wasn't working, and it was 26 degrees in there)... but then some mysterious yelping came from the office, and we found our dog - stopped by the Lord on his path of destruction by the door closing on him - in the middle of a pile of papers, and books... yes books... belonging to neither Kurt nor I - but to a good friend... that were shredded and totally ruined by his doggy slobber. I have no idea how he got them - and now we're out at least $40 because I have to replace them. Ugh.

Kurt looked at me, said, "Kendall, you just go change and I'll clean this up, okay?" (See how wonderful he is!) and the dog pranced up to both of us as if to say, "Yay! Join the party of mayhem!!" He was kenneled, the mess was cleaned, and I withheld my love for 2 days. 40 bucks!!! Oy vey...

As if to discipline me for my withdrawal of affections, he dog decided to throw up (stop laughing, dad) right outside our bedroom door the other morning, devoured his new chew bone (nothing remains) in 2 hours, get diarrhea in the yard (so long, lawn), and has seemed to develop an insatiable taste for toilet paper. He has also remained rebellious, and crazy... and we're hoping that the terrible 6-month phase lasts until tomorrow. Plus, he gets hair all over every single piece of clothing that it is important that he not get hair on - like work uniforms right as I'm about to walk out the door. It's like doggy ESP: "She doesn't want me to touch her... so instead of walking past her, I'll brush up against her legs as I go by - Bah-ha-ha-ha!!!"

Yeesh.
My goodness: all this and we're having a baby, too?

Who says the Lord doesn't use "little" circumstances to grow His children... even big, dumb, stubborn, rebellious dogs.

Amen? :)

4 comments:

Victoria said...

I hope your children are easier to train than your dog :). Although eating marbles and toilet paper sounds like something a child would do. Maybe it's just preparation for you and Kurt? I was always a cat person growing up (we didn't have dogs until I was in junior high and even then they were show dogs and lived outside), so this just confirms in my mind that I never want a large dog--nothing bigger than a Scottie (which my parents-in-law have) thank you.

Unknown said...

haha that's hilarious! it's amazing what the Lord uses to test you. our dog went through a destructive phasw like that too, esp with our garden! hang in there though and just be consistent with his discipline and exercise. dogs often become destructive when they aren't getting enough exercise-esp bigger dogs!

Anonymous said...

That sounds like the kind of dog I've been looking for. My wife says her life is sooo boring and needs a little more excitement. I think this dog will do the trick. How much are you offering for him?

Mrs Manz said...

nice try mr. manz...I'll bet you're one of those guys who would constantly remind your wife that SHE wanted the dog when she gets cranky with it... ;)
love you lots,hon...