Saturday, April 12, 2008

About Trust

I breathe a sigh of relief with each day that goes by.

I remember when I was pregnant with Autumn... I had no fears. To be honest, I thought that if God went through the trouble (and after months of trying with no conception - I really did think it was 'trouble') to get me pregnant then why wouldn't He keep the baby safe? And - when I did think about something happening (as unreal as it seemed) - I knew that the baby wasn't ours anyway, and God would give us strength to deal with whatever. But I honestly never ever thought about miscarriage, or stillbirth being a possible factor for us. Even when she had the cyst on her brain - she was moving and growing - and I thought that was a good thing... so no doubts were so overwhelming that some pretty basic meditation on the things I knew to be true didn't help.

I look back on that weekend in October and think that for someone who wasn't expecting the worst (or even a complication) I adapted pretty quickly. By God's grace. And even as transparent as I've found myself to be on this blog... there are still deep parts of my own heart that just want to cry for the baby girl we lost all the time.

A new pregnancy means moving on - getting past being parents with no child - knowing my body didn't lose it's ability to hold life... and I longed for this! But there has been a lot of latent grief for Autumn surfacing, lately. Yes - there are also hormones and other issues going on... but sometimes (and I hadn't done this for a few months) I just look at her picture and the tears come.

I think about her moving - the delight and joy I felt when her little heels would press against my ribs, and the way she'd "shove" my hand out of the way if I was pressing her space too firmly. I'm realizing how hard that has been for me to make the connection with the baby girl who came out of me lifeless and still. I "knew" it was the same baby... but lately it has been hitting home that the child in the pictures was the same one who started bouncing around when Kurt talked, or when I sang in church, or when I was trying to get to sleep... she was very much alive. And with that realization, comes even a bigger sense of loss... for I wonder who she might have been if those eyes had opened, and I had felt her little fingers curl around mine. The pregnancy was a time of anticipation and excitement - and to not have the parts moving outside that had been moving inside... the whole process felt interrupted. On so many levels - I don't think I really got it. But I'm starting to... a little bit anyway.

Part of my anxiety is that because of all of the above, I won't really enjoy this pregnancy. Realistically - I didn't exactly enjoy the first trimester with Autumn either... so to put pressure on myself to rejoice in the nausea maybe isn't fair. (chuckle) But I don't want to be so hampered by what was that I cannot anticipate what will be.

What a journey... sometimes I wonder - really wonder - if I'm equipped to deal with this.
And then I come back to Who does the equipping. I know the Lord had planned this for me even as the last 6 months were within his complete control. This pregnancy - learning to trust Him - again - with the life He has created in me... this was part of His plan even when I lost our baby. It's taking more work to remember this time - but it's still true enough to stake my soul on. I want to give Him all the glory... and I know He'll answer that prayer.

I crave people's prayers (they help so much!) and am so thankful for everyone who has written to me to let me know who you are and how you have cared for us by grieving, praying - and now rejoicing in this new pregnancy.

Thank you for your support and love - blessings to all of you...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kendall,

I am so excited for you!

I understand what it is like to be pregnant after losing a baby.

I was so scared that something was going to happen during my 3rd pregnancy that when my little boy was born I actually felt guilty holding this little stranger and feeling like I didn't know him! Please enjoy the pregnancy if you can! Only God knows what the future holds, but you do know that you DO have this little one for today!

I am rejoicing with you at the wonderful goodness of our amazing God in giving you two this incredible blessing!! I will be praying for you, and Kurt, and this little one, that God will bless each of you and keep you all healthy!

God bless you, dear sister!

Anonymous said...

"But I don't want to be so hampered by what was that I cannot anticipate what will be."

I pray this again for you - "May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

Anonymous said...

Kendall,

First of all, thank you SO, SO much for your kind words on our blog, and for your prayers. Please know that I do and will continue to pray for you often.
Something that's been of comfort to me in dealing with fear has been Phillipians 4, when Paul talks about not being anxious about anything. The part that stuck out to me recently is when Paul says that "the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." I realized that it seems Paul is saying: You might not get an answer or any type of understanding for what you're going through, but the Lord will give you peace. A peace so amazing that it transcends the understanding you thought you needed in the first place.
It has been truly amazing to watch and read how the Lord has held you up, given you peace, even JOY in the midst of losing your precious one. I am praying that he will continue to do so; I will pray also that in his graciousness, he will allow you to enjoy the creation growing inside of you. I understand, at least in part, how much work that seems to take.
Much, Much love to you; I look forward to going through this with you as well!
andrea

Anonymous said...

We are imperfect, that is why we worry. I was scared to death when I was pregnant with my daugher. I don't think I ever truly relaxed. However, I know that God is a kind & loving God and I knew that if I miscarried again He would help me through it. I also knew in my heart that God isn't a cruel God and wouldn't allow me to long for a baby without somehow, in some way, receive a baby. Does that make sense? I felt that way when I was praying to meet someone to marry.

I don't know you Kendall but I truly pray for you daily. I know the anxiety you feel. I know how I worried with every twinge the entire pregnancy. I drank so much juice just to be sure I could feel her moving around!! Poor little baby!!

I'm the same person who commented a few posts ago. I had the 3 miscarriages so I truly do understand your worry.

Anissa

Christy said...

Kendall...the Lord will carry you! I can't wait to see your precious baby! Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Kendall,
Although I do not know you personally, I am another regular visitor to your blog and I've been praying that God would bless you and Kurt with another baby. I was so excited when I first saw your announcement on your blog and praise God for an answered prayer. I continue to pray for you in your journey ahead. I have had a couple of miscarriages and am currently 9 weeks pregnant. In addition to the nausea as you mentioned, it's hard for me to fully enjoy my pregnancy for the fear of what might happen again. But I know God is in control and I always come back to that knowledge and rest in Him. I pray that God will comfort you during this very emotional time in your life! Looking forward to keeping up with your pregnancy through your blog. By the way, I live in Greenville, South Carolina and came across your blog through a friend's blog back in October when she requested prayer for you and Kurt. It truly is amazing the bond that believers have in Jesus Christ!
Jessica

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kendal,

I am thrilled to hear of your pregnancy. Our prayers are with you always and will continue to be with you. Congratulations!!!
I desperatly wish I was able to get in touch with you for a visit but now that you are moving that seems like a dream not likly to be granted. It is hard to beleive that saskatoon once a city I drove in and out of a countless number of times is now a city I hardly ever visit.
I am excited for you and your new beginings in Leask. Is there a hospital there? Do you think you will work? It will be such a blessing for you to be close to family.
Take care and I hope that no matter how much time passes you and Kurt know that there is always a friend in me.

Juanita said...

Hi Kendall,
I don't know you at all except through the blogging world. Back in October I found you through Janelle's blog.
I think of you and send up prayers for you often.
When I found your blog my baby boy was just a few weeks old. I sat and read your story about losing precious Autumn and cried many tears for you. Even as I write this my heart wells up with sadness for your loss.
I am so thrilled for you that you are pregnant again! Now when I think of you I will pray for your health and the health of this new life inside of you.
Many Blessings,
Juanita
ladyshutterbug.blogspot.com

Dianna said...

Yes you are pregnant!! Enjoy!! Savor the moment!! yes I'm continuing to prayer for you! Think of your loss as God's hand in it to reach other people. More then you will probably ever know. He don;t understand His ways But He does it all for a reason. Blessings my dear friend

Kelsie-Lynn said...

praying for you often!

Vicki said...

My tears come again as I read your words and am so touched by your "transparency" to all of us. Your faith is strong and though it seems like you have to work hard at it, I imagine that God will ease that "work" as the time goes and you will once again find yourself trusting in Him without even thinking about it. I am sure this pregnancy will be so difficult, but I also believe that as soon as you feel the little heel of this new precious life, your heart will soar and you will fall in love all over again. I pray that while you may never get through this pregnancy without worrying or being afraid - that maybe it will lessen with time. I hope I'm making sense. My words never seem to come out the way I feel them in my heart. I just wish I could give you a hug and bring you comfort. The best I can offer is my prayers and to let you know how often you and Kurt are thought of.
{{{HUGS}}}

Anonymous said...

Kendall,
I understand what you mean when you say that a part of you wants to cry all the time for precious Autumn. It has been almost 5 years since my husband and I lost our son Zachary... and I still feel this every once in awhile...Zachary was one of triplets! Our boys Jeremy and Austin are now 5. Zachary lived for 3 months. There's always a part of our family missing... And when I found out that I was pregnant again 8 months after losing him, I just wanted him back, I didn't want another baby...
But God changed my heart and gave me so much joy in the birth of our daughter, Sonia. This baby will never replace Autumn! She will always be your firstborn, the big sister... My prayers are with you at this time... God Bless
My email address is kathy_goertzen@hotmail.com if you ever want to talk...

The Mom said...

Kendall,

I praise the Lord for placing this new life inside of your womb. I will pray for you as you continue to heal.

Two months after we lost our first baby to miscarriage I was pregnant again. For the first few days we were so excited, and I was very relieved (I had wondered the reason I lost our first was because something was wrong with my body and I wondered if I would ever be able to conceive again). But, it didn't take long for us to realize that a second pregnancy didn't mean that we were completely healed, it was just the next step in God's plan for our hearts to continue healing.

My pregnancy went well and our daughter is now 11 months old; but, it was two years ago this month that we found out that I was pregnant with our first baby. And there are still days, many this month, that I grieve that loss and miss that little baby that I knew for only a short time.

Yet, could I ask for anything to be different? If things had been different I would not hold my little Alicia in my arms each day. Could I trade one for another? Oh what opportunities this life brings to rest in the arms of our great Savior. He knows, He cares and He gives me the grace to look back and say "God is good, I would not change anything!"

Rest in His arms, sweet sister, as you have learned to do. Don't expect to move quickly. Remember that a Mother's heart and love is not divided, it is multiplied. This little one will fill your heart, yet never take the place of your sweet Autumn.

Everything you say sounds so familiar, these are the very thoughts that have run through my mind, and sometimes still do. Please know that I pray for you when I read your heart.

Press on,
Terah

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendall!
We are so excited for you. My mom actually told me as I had not checked your blog in a while...
So we are praying for you and hope to meet the baby and Kurt someday.
Clark and I had a little girl, her name is Callianna Marie Soriano.

Are you on Facebook too or just blog life? I would love to talk with you sometime. You and Kurt have been a huge inspiration to us and helped respect God more and realize that we control nothing! It's really hard to give up control--especially being a new mom--but we are learning...
love in Christ
Jenn (Fraesr) Soriano