Saturday, October 25, 2008

Some News

Sooo.... for probably obvious reasons I haven't been able to put up another post for a few days. :) S'okay - I'm loving the sleep deprivation.
She's a trooper when it comes to nursing, and she sleeps super-soundly in between feeds.
I have no complaints - life is wonderful. Keep praying for us, though. Please. :)

On another note (and be warned - this one is sad): Due to the hectic pace of the last week and a bit I wasn't able to put the word out that Oscar is no longer with us. It was a really hard decision - we've both shed lots of tears leading up to it and after... but it was best for him. Basicly, he had some kind of congenital nerve problem in his spine that was starting to really mess up his ability to walk and stay balanced. It was getting pretty bad: he couldn't even get up stairs and his paws were all skuffed because he was always dragging his feet. On the 14th, we took him to the vet where it was confirmed what we already pretty much knew - he wasn't going to get better without a lot of (expensive) tests and a probable surgery that might not even work. Plus, it was advancing pretty quickly - and he's just too big for us to carry around - not to mention he wasn't enjoying life too much because of his ability to not stand up for too long.

We cried and gave him loads of pets and love - and then the vet put him down really gently while we held him. It was over really fast - and he didn't suffer. We gave him a really good life - he was very loved and a happy, one-of-a-kind dog. We miss him like crazy - but we know we made the right decision. We brought him home and buried him in his blanket with some toys - and thanked the Lord for our wonderful dog who was with us for a couple of really challenging years.

The funny thing is that nothing happens accidentally: the Lord knew we were going to have Peyton a matter of days later - and the sting of his loss is obviously diminished by the joy of having our daughter. But we do wish we could have seen our big, lovable, dopey dog with our pretty little daughter...The Lord knows best - and even Oscar served a huge purpose of refining and sustaining in our lives. We're thankful for the 2 good years we had with him - and know no other dog is ever going to be quite the same as our "Okar".

9 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh you guys, I'm SO sorry!! I know that loss only too well - it's very hard!!! I'm glad that Peyton fills your arms and hearts and makes the sting of his loss a bit less!!!
You remain in my prayers and I still get a lump in my throat every time I think of Peyton. I'm very excited because my sister (in law) has been in labor since 6am this morning and I just got a text from my brother that she is pushing!!!!! It's killing me to be so far away. But I'm just praying she is healthy!!!!
{{{HUGS}}}

Victoria said...

What an emotional month you've had so far! I'm so sorry to hear about Oscar, but I'm sure it would be a lot harder to see him continue in pain. He sounds like he was a great dog.

I remember vividly what lack of sleep is like. I will pray that you will get some rest. Some of the best advice I got was to enjoy each moment (even in the midst of no sleep). They are newborns for such a short amount of time. I'm glad the nursing is going well. That in itself can be such a struggle.

Continue enjoying motherhood and don't feel any pressure to update the blog. Being a mommy (and well rested) definitely comes first!

Unknown said...

Oh you guys..I'm sorry about Oscar..very sorry. It's so hard to say good-bye to a beloved pet. Especially one as special as Oscar. God does have perfect timing though doesn't He. Just a little while after I had to put my beloved PJ down I gave birth to Claire and her birth helped to ease the mourning for my dog. I will pray for you all during the newborn phase and beyond. I am still so blessed by Peytons birth..second only to my own childrens births! God is Amazing! If you're ever in my neck of the woods again (hint :)) you can love on Trin. :) Was that picture taken recently? Kurt looks sad..like He knows he has to put Oscar down. Maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Love you guys.

Anonymous said...

So sorry about Oscar. It's wonderful that you had him with you through those tough years, and I'm thankful you are able to focus on the joy of having Peyton now!

That's wonderful that she's nursing well and sleeping well. I'm hoping for that combination with #2, as Dasha was great at nursing but not so much at sleeping. These are the crazy days--it just keeps getting better and better!

Susan said...

Kendall - just when I think it will be a tear free blog:-). I am sorry for your loss. It is amazing though how God used that loveable goofy dog to help you through so much in the last year. I cry just remembering how he turned your tears to laughter with his antics. I hear you might be coming out again next year- I hope so! love you.

M or J said...

How sad! I'm so sorry for your loss. The poor little guy - he must have been very unhappy not being able to run around like a healthy dog. You did the right thing, but it's so heart wrenching. I don't know what I'll do when we have to put Corky down. He's so a part of the family...almost like our "son." I'm glad you got to bury him at home though...that's what I would want to do. :( Will you get another puppy?

Anonymous said...

So sorry about your dog! He looks so much like Mudge in the Henry & Mudge stories that Orison enjoys.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendell and Kurt. You don't know me and well quite honestly I don't even know how I ended up on your blog. But I was inspired reading the last few entries that I began to get curious and started reading almost all of your entries. I've been reading for the last two hours, sobbing for just as long, and inspired for a life time. You're faith in God has brought more purpose in my life by the minute than ever imagined. I have never lost a child, but my great battle with my own faith was when my youngest son was born with microtia (a slight deformity of the ear) and as shallow as it may sound I felt punished and then felt anger. It wasn't until a dear friend told me that it was because God has chosen me to love him that I was blessed with his birth, that I understood. And through your sorrows and your triumphs in the last year or so, you have touched my heart, altered my beliefs, and have given me a greater understanding on what life has in store for each and every one of us. My greatest congratulations to you and your family. You are truly blessed in more ways than one, and in even through sorrows you never lost the belief that there was something great in store for you. And you and Kurt are well deserved of all the love and blessings you have been given. With love and prayers from Southern California - I'll be looking forward to entries to read. I've already saved your blog site on my page. LOL! Thank you... really! I fall to sleep with greater optimism.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendell and Kurt. You don't know me and well quite honestly I don't even know how I ended up on your blog. But I was inspired reading the last few entries that I began to get curious and started reading almost all of your entries. I've been reading for the last two hours, sobbing for just as long, and inspired for a life time. You're faith in God has brought more purpose in my life by the minute than ever imagined. I have never lost a child, but my great battle with my own faith was when my youngest son was born with microtia (a slight deformity of the ear) and as shallow as it may sound I felt punished and then felt anger. It wasn't until a dear friend told me that it was because God has chosen me to love him that I was blessed with his birth, that I understood. And through your sorrows and your triumphs in the last year or so, you have touched my heart, altered my beliefs, and have given me a greater understanding on what life has in store for each and every one of us. My greatest congratulations to you and your family. You are truly blessed in more ways than one, and in even through sorrows you never lost the belief that there was something great in store for you. And you and Kurt are well deserved of all the love and blessings you have been given. With love and prayers from Southern California - I'll be looking forward to entries to read. I've already saved your blog site on my page. LOL! Thank you... really! I fall to sleep with greater optimism.