Saturday, October 4, 2008

My Working Man


In the truck waiting to be filled by the combine.

Unloading the oats into the transfer auger.

Checking the pile depth (making sure it didn't go over the rings).
Scenes from my birthday evening. It was actually pretty cold and windy - and every bump brought on a Braxton Hicks contraction... but we did the whole "listen to the Rider game" thing, and just had a great 3-and-one-half-hour visit while admiring the beauty of the stars and the Northern Lights (stretching entirely from east to west last night!).
Oat dust is sure itchy, though. Not an area I need help with lately. :)
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

R.A. said...

AH! One of my life dreams is to see the Northern Lights...so jealous.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Northern Lights?!?! Where IS Manzville?!?! I would think with Northern Lights and all that it would be too cold to grow oats. :-)

Mrs Manz said...

Poor Rachel... honestly, until I was in my early teens I thought everyone could see them. I had no idea that people come up here SPECIFICALLY because they aren't visible world-wide. :)
Not bragging, but I've grown up with some pretty spectacular shows... (where it actually lights up the night they dance so high and long) and some of the BEST ones are during the warm summer nights - perfect for growing oats. ;)
(Or the nights when it is so cold that all lights for 20 miles are visible... they kinda "pop" then, too - but that season "which shall not be named" is not yet upon us... shudder.)
BTW: aren't they visible in Minnesota? I could've sworn that was one of their claims-to-fame...

Vicki said...

Oh wow, your explanation left me wanting to see them too!!!
Sounds like you had a great night together!!! Happy belated birthday!!!