Monday, January 7, 2008

Christmas Thoughts (Part II)

And so I'm back!
Sorry for the huge delay. I cannot believe (truly) that we are a full week into 2008... and am still habitually writing '2007' on anything requiring a date. Fortunately, the blog does that for me. ;) I usually get used to writing it faster if I'm at school (dating notes) or working (charting). Since neither is part of my life at the moment, I'll hack along as best I can.
I hope that everyone else has had a wonderful Christmas and New Year. When people ask me how mine was, I simply reply, "I'm glad that it's over." It wasn't that spending time with family and friends wasn't wonderful (because it was!) but the overall feeling of missing someone was a little bit unexpected - even as it wasn't. What a bunch of enigmas and contradictions my emotions have become!
We started Christmas (as has been noted in earlier posts) way back on December 15th in Melfort... opening stockings, and exchanging gifts and learning that Dean has a unique talent for playing Balderdash. And how. ;) I laughed so hard that it didn't even matter that I lost (barely!) to Amanda. ;-D
Lori also makes each of us a pair of PJ pants to get us through the year... Care Bear robe was also a gift. Kurt noted that they are Grumpy Bear's on the robe and stated how appropriate that is for mornings. So I punched him. (lol!) Just kidding... I settled for sticking my tongue out at him. The picture indicates that we worked things out eventually. ;)
Oscar also bonded with Josie since she will actually play with him instead of growling and running away (like a certain unnamed pug). Dean took this picture of them enjoying some bones in the office.
When she wants to get rowdy, she darts around like a little hummingbird and Oscar goes into fits trying to catch her. It's pretty cute to watch - and it tires them both out so that works for all the humans pretty well, too. :)
After that we ended up at home for Christmas morning. Kurt gave me a beautiful card and the letter (also previously blogged about) and "finished" a gift he started 4 years ago.
What, may you ask, has taken four years? He bought me heart locket in our first year of marriage. Two years later, he got it engraved "But you exceed them all" (Proverbs 31). This year, he made the effort to get two little pictures of us and put them in the locket. And so it is done! :) There is also something in the mail that has yet to arrive for me... I've no clue what it is - which is somewhat strange for me and good for Kurt. We'll see if he can maintain the secrecy until it arrives...
I wanted to make a little bit of effort with his gift. I've received a number of sentimental gifts about Autumn... but he doesn't have much for himself. I got him a key chain engraved with the words "Autumn's Daddy" and then sent him on a treasure hunt for his next gift: a ring with her name and birth date engraved inside. He had to go all over the house (including the front closet in his coat pocket) where there were other clues waiting - including a 'task' of singing You are my Sunshine to me and giving me a 'romantic' kiss - or maybe two. A lady doesn't give too many details... chuckle and tsk, tsk. ;-D He was a good sport about it, and he really really liked the ring - which made my heart so happy.
We went to Melfort for the evening, and then to Leask Boxing Day (another stat holiday) morning for our Podhordeski Christmas with Dad and Mom and Kiley and Jessica and Grandma and Grandpa White. We also had a good visit with Baba and Gydo... and Oscar enjoyed the Twins (Diesel and Titan) - even though Titan always steals his blanket. :)
Overall, it wasn't too hectic of a season - for which I am very grateful. I was able to cry when I needed - but the support was also there for both of us. I can't believe it was two weeks ago already! One more indication that time and life go on... and a proof that God continues to carry us through the days and weeks with kindness and mercy.
I went to WalMart January 3rd to get a calender. I usually like to go on the 2nd before they all get picked over - and by the 3rd there weren't that many left. Talk about living dangerously. A calender isn't something you can choose lightly - it hangs there for an entire year so it better be pretty! After some frantic searching, I was able to find one I like - and at a super-sale price. So it all worked out despite my trauma. :)
Hope you have your calenders. :) Happy New Year, everyone!

No comments: