Monday, August 18, 2008

Post 1 of 9 (August 17-23)

I just realized that if I only do one post per week until the baby is scheduled to arrive I'll only get 9 more posts done.
Since that is what I'm at about now that is a pretty crazy thought.
My girlfriend who was dilated and "ready to have the baby" managed to get it all under control - so her baby is staying put for a little while longer.
But her situation convinced me that I shouldn't wait too much longer to gather a hospital-ish bag - just in case. It isn't like we live 5 (literal) minutes from the hospital any more...

Oh - and since a lot of other people are doing it I may as well make a post about the Olympics.

First: Canada isn't doing great. Not a big shock - it snows here a lot so summer sports tend to be way more specialized and take a lot more money to train in at only a few select locations. Winter Olympics tend to be my favorite. They're always faster and more dangerous and involve equipment of some kind. Whether it is to obvious (hockey) or the not-so-obvious (luge) I really like watching them. :) Since we (as in British Columbia) are hosting them next round the excitement will be off the radar. I read somewhere that the men's hockey gold game is already sold out. All this without having a clue who will be in it...and if you want to get tickets (as in on the internet) you're looking at thousands of dollars. That, my friends, is frenzy.

Second: I was one of the cynics who thought Michael Phelps had to be on steroids. (I'm sorry!) Who breaks ten bazillion records (or 8) in one stretch of games? And how do you spank the best of every other country so soundly? I know, I know - he's built like a superhuman. Genetically made to be a swimmer... he's very genuine and courteous (I agree with that) and I'm happy for him - I'm just hoping he didn't have a trainer that slipped him some growth hormones or something and said it was Vitamin B12. I was 8 years old when Canada's Ben Johnson won gold - and was just over that when he lost his medal for a drug use scandal. It tainted me. 20 years later I find myself always waiting for the other shoe to drop. Sigh. To all his fans - forgive me! :)

Third: I find myself rooting for China a lot. I find myself hoping for the best for them as people. If you've dedicated your whole life (all 9 years of it... chuckle) to perfecting a certain sport and then fail... you have to wonder what that country's perspective of them will be and what their future will hold. But I also have to come back to the fact that they are just SO good at everything! We watched the beach volleyball game between them and (as it was NBC) the Americans - China was amazing. There is something kinda awe-inspiring about over a billion people rooting for their own - and doing well. Since they are the only communist super-power left in the world it does make sense that they would pick up where Russia left off... with perfectionism perfected. I'm not anti-anybody in these games... but I am just so happy for these guys and girls when they win. :)

I think that is enough Olympic thoughts for now... happy game-watching everyone.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will forgive your Phelps-cynicism. Especially since I am just really, really hoping that his talent really is genuine--I am so tired of sports stars being doped up! What happened to competing for love of the sport, instead of the prestige and glory! What happened to integrity! What happened to stretching human capabilities ... without any additives!

Ahem. Rant over.

I've been rooting for China, too (although I really wanted the Canadian to win bronze during last night's free dive--I'm ready to see a Canadian flag on a podium!). I get so sick of the smug American media who obviously want the Chinese to lose so they can sneer at Communism. Considering how the Soviet Union dominated the Winter Olympics ... I think my country is in for a let-down.

9 weeks! I'm very excited for you :)

Unknown said...

So I guess you and bmanz11 are ok, huh. Praising God!
Ya, I'll forgive you for the Phelps comments. Sheesh! I'd forgive you for anything :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you only have 9 weeks left!!!!! That's SOOO soon!!!! :) I'm so excited for you guys, and can't wait to hear what name you've picked out for your beautiful little girl! I think about you and pray for you often!!

Much love!

Sarah Robbins said...

Yeah for 9 weeks! Too funny that Andrea just posted; I lump you too together and was just saying Kendall's having her baby so Andrea's having her baby, too!

I love you both and am sending happy non-Olympic thoughts your way.

Dianna said...

9 more weeks????!! What? and you haven't even packed your bag yet?? have you cleaned house yet? Done cooking?? Bought items? Everything should be done by now and you should sit in a chair feet up and waiting for labour to start!!!! I'm KIDDING!!!! I'm due any day and I'll never get everything done on time. That's why I'm teasing you and letting you know it's perfectly ok. I'm being in a silly weird mood right now. I think my sense of humour is out the window and nothing is funny anymore when you're so large and feel like throwing in the towel already.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You're counting down with only single digit weeks now! It seems to be going by quickly now.
Hope you are feeling well:)