Sunday, November 9, 2008

How Peyton Arrived

Well, Peyton is quietly resting in her crib, and it feels like as good a time as any to give the story of how she got here. :)

On our way to my 36-week checkup, I said to Kurt jokingly, "I've got half a mind to ask him to bump up the induction to next week." Kurt looked at me twice (dangerous while driving) and asked, "Do you think that is possible?" I just shrugged and kept thinking about my aching pelvis, back, and legs. :)

Anyway, when we got there, everything was great - my weight gain was still holding steady, and the plan was to continue with the original idea to go in on the evening of the 23rd and hopefully have her by the 24th. (With the speed the induction worked with Autumn there was no reason to expect anything longer with Peyton.) I was still completely undilated and non-effaced. (Bummer...)

As our doctor was getting ready to leave the room, he asked, "Do you have any more questions or concerns?" Kurt piped up and said, "Um, yeah. Would it be possible to induce at 37 weeks instead of 38?" I was stunned he actually asked - and even more stunned when the doctor replied, "Well, she's measuring to be a big baby, and Kendall is really uncomfortable... with your history it wouldn't take much to convince me to go that route."

Hello???

My mind started spinning right away: as bad as I am at surprises - getting induced a whole week early would really be great as far as shocking everyone waiting for the baby. Plus - for both of us - the anticipation of actually meeting our baby was getting unbearable. The year that had passed seemed almost endless. So when we left the office, it was with the plan to talk at the next appointment about how I was feeling with a possible induction to be scheduled for the 17th.

The cons were there: "early" babies don't always nurse as well, they can get more jaundiced... and any induction carries with it the risk of c-section. Not to mention if we were going to do it we would have to lie to every single person who asked us if the 23rd was still the day we were going in (and everyone was asking us).

The pros were that we could avoid all the painful anniversary dates (the 19th-26th) being shared with this new baby (remember: I progress quickly), no more aches, meeting our baby, surprising everyone... hardening my conscience... ;) you get the point, I'm sure. It was like Christmas coming a week early! I was giddy. We just kept looking at each other all the way home and saying, "She could be here next week!!" and then I'd do a crazy little scream-ish noise and we'd laugh and calm down until the next time one of us said it. Good thing we're best friends, or we'd think each other odd...

So the next week on Tuesday, we went for our checkup and the decision was made to induce me on Friday. (!) Interestingly enough - that was the day we also had to put down Oscar. But I've blogged about that before: all I can say is that God's timing is always best. Even as we buried him, we had the hope of meeting our daughter in only a few days - and that made it much more bearable.

They called us the morning of the 17th, and we headed to the city with the realization that next time we came home it would be (Lord willing) with Peyton. My mom phoned before we left and I told her we were going to the city to "Do some stuff." She didn't even question it (big sigh of relief...) and we hoped that would be enough explanation if/when people tried to reach us for the next couple of days. We also turned down our cell phones and only checked them every couple of hours.

Long story shortened: they didn't get the cervadil put in until 2pm - and the resident that did it was not my doctor. In hindsight, I'm pretty sure she didn't do it right. That isn't a slam... but when my doctor had to redo it 24 hours later it HURT - and I (quite obviously) went into full-blown (from 1cm to 5cm) labour 6 hours later. (See? I told you I go fast.) God's timing. I woke up Saturday the 18th with a heavy heart and told Kurt, "I think God's going to give us this baby on the 19th." He just looked at me and smiled softly. All our (actually MY) scheming to avoid that day seemed foiled - and as it turned out it was foiled... but God did it better and in a more joyful way than I could have planned. He knows me better than I know myself - and what would TRULY make me happy... and that I've blogged on before, too. :)

Anyway, after my doctor did the cervadil I started to get very uncomfortable. So my nurse gave me a morphine/gravol shot so I could sleep and relax - which I did. Kurt rested, but eventually went to watch the hockey game in the family room with the instructions to come check on me every 20 minutes or so - which he did. At 8pm - pretty much on the dot - I felt a sharp "snap" and actually said "ouch" through my drug-induced rest and then realized my water broke. After quickly checking for meconium (there was none - praise God! :)), I rang for the nurse who arrived a mere minute before Kurt who was coming in for his 20 minute check and she announced joyfully, "Your membranes ruptured!" :)

Less than 10 minutes later (and after realizing I was 5 cm) I was in the delivery room and waiting for my epidural. I just beat the rush: after I got down there 8 (EIGHT!) ladies followed me in. Anyway, I was fully dilated and nicely numb from the mid-rib line down by 11pm - and I was thinking I would maybe have this baby on the 18th after all - but Peyton was only at station 0 so they figured I'd get tuckered out with all that pushing and decided to let my contractions do the work.

As we passed midnight I said to Kurt, "I can't believe we're going to have this baby on the 19th. And I can't believe I'm okay with this." I called the nurse around 2:45 (exactly one year since I had felt Autumn move the last time) and said, "I have to push." When she felt Peyton's head right there she called the doctor. ("Cross your legs." she said. Ha, ha...?) He arrived, managed to change into scrubs and delivered Peyton - after 3 pushes - at 3:09am. Our poor baby came out face up and so managed to bruise her nose on my pelvis - but otherwise was in great shape.

They plopped her on my chest and said, "Rub her so she'll cry!" and so I rubbed like crazy. I know the first thing I said was, "She's soooo beautiful!" and to hear that little squeak and see her move and blink... it was so shocking at the time - but it brings tears to my eyes now. Kurt summed it up this way: everything was so similar - the room, the preparation, the contractions. But to see the nurse turn on the baby-warmer... and hear our baby's heartbeat on the monitor... the joyful contrasts far outweighed the similarities this time.

Peyton had to be suctioned a lot because she came out so fast - but after all that was done she was fine. I nursed her, had a shower, ate some toast and we headed up to postpartum where the girls (despite it turning out to be a crazy night) all made it in to say hello, give us hugs and be the first ones to meet Peyton. :) I called my mom at 4 am with the announcement, "I've decided to tell you the baby's name." To which she replied, "Is that because I have a granddaughter?" :) Yaaayyy!!!! She cried! Surprise accomplished! (BIG GRIN)

So there are parts I've left out or glossed over... but the gist is that Peyton was born exactly when and how she was supposed to and we praise God for her every single day. Even the cranky days. (Lets just say I won't be eating Brussel sprouts again for a while... chuckle...) I can hardly believe she's been here 3 weeks already. Time is in so many ways moving slow - but at the same time so very fast. I remember thinking last year that Autumn would be so-many weeks each week for months... and seeing other babies around that age was so very painful. But this year the contrast in emotion couldn't be greater. I cherish the days spent with her - the lack of sleep. Her little noises, the open eyes which are starting to study me, the "almost" smiles... I am content. Happy. Joyful. And thrilled to share that with those of you who honor me by reading this blog, rejoicing with us, and keeping us in your prayers. :)

But speaking of little noises: it sounds like nap time is over and cuddle time is about to start... so I had better publish this and go - but here is a picture from yesterday of our little "Sweet P". Okay - maybe a "few" pictures. :)
Sitting pretty - much more balanced (and bright-eyed!) this week.

Peering through the slats on the crib.

Wrapped in Autumn's blanket - bittersweet for me - but I'm so glad we have another opportunity to use the gift made with such love.

16 comments:

Megan @ SimplyThrifty said...

Thank you for sharing the story of Peyton's arrival. I rejoice with you at the birth of your 2nd beautiful daughter. She is absolutely precious. God's sovereignty is truly amazing even in the tiny details of our lives.

Victoria said...

She is a beautiful little girl, and I'm sure Autumn wouldn't mind you sharing her blankie with her little sister :). Thanks for the story. I certainly wouldn't have been able to keep that secret! I can't wait to see your Christmas pictures :).

Unknown said...

yay what a great story. i cant believe you kept it all a secret. even from your family. how great is that?! and she is such a cutie!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kendall for sharing this today. I happen to know a gal who has the baby blues right now. I hope she reads this and recognizes the beauty of the gift of sleep deprivation with a healthy infant. May we never take God's goodness for granted. I appreciate you. XXOO

Vicki said...

I started reading this post giggling at the thought of you two doing the little "screams" thinking about the baby coming early and now I end it with tears running down my cheeks. Kendall, I am so honored to be able to share in this journey and my heart is overflowing with happiness for you all. Thank you for making your heart and feelings so transparent to us. I am amazed at your strength and your faith. And now God has brought this precious gift to you and I know she will bring you such joy. And I know that Autumn is with God and she will always be Peyton's guardian angel! You all remain in our prayers!!! :)

Sarah Robbins said...

I can't wait to see her in person when you all make your way down south again. She is absolutely precious!!

R.A. said...

I still can't believe what a beautiful newborn she is...no squishy face! Thanks for the story...love the part about the happy squeals and you and Kurt getting giddy on the way back from the doctor...and the part about God being amazing in his timing. =)

Beth said...

What a wonderful birth story...brought tears to my eyes. I remember seeing and hearing Drew for the first time, don't think my heart has every felt so much joy or been so THANKFUL. She is such a pretty baby, I am loving all her sweet pictures....

Anonymous said...

What a delightful story! I'm completely jealous of the fact you only had to push three times! And I'm in awe of your ability to keep it a secret--I blab every pregnancy detail, from the moment I find out I'm actually pregnant, to the names we've picked, to pretty much everything. I definitely think your way is more fun!

Peyton is adorable--I love her big eyes and her sweet little determined mouth.

kelly ens said...

what an amazing birth story - God definitely has His way and His timing! :)
Peyton is just beautiful, and I rejoice with you at her arrival and the experiences you are having with her (even the brussel sprout ones, because that's how we learn :)

Alissa said...

She is such a beautiful girl. Thanks for sharing her birth story. It's always wonderful to hear how God works things out in His time. We rejoice with you. Enjoy the sleepless nights and midnight feedings...it goes by way too fast :) We always enjoy seeing new pics of her!

Dianne said...

Absolutly gorgeous! I am so so happy for you!

The Mom said...

Tears of happiness and remembering came to my eyes as I read. Our God is such a beautiful story writer :o) And the little people He creates are even more beautiful! I wish I could kiss Payton's cute little cheeks :o)

Kelsie-Lynn said...

She is beautiful! Thank you for sharing her amazing birth story. God is truly good.

Hannah said...

Thank you so much for sharing her story, Kendall. I just love these pictures.

Anonymous said...

Happy 1 month Birthday Peyton!!!
Bless the Lord!