Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Leavin' On a Jet-Plane

We did it!
Our tickets for Hawaii are booked! :-D

After the excitement faded a little, the reality of holding an 18-month old on my lap for 9 hours started to kick in.

Oy.

The way down isn't too bad: first to Denver (3 hours) then to Los Angeles (1.5 hrs) and then a "short" jaunt to the island (6 (gulp!) hours). At least it's broken down a bit, right?

RIGHT???

Coming home means leaving Honolulu at 11:45 pm and flying all night to Denver. We don't get off the plane until 9:30 the next morning. I'm kinda shuddering. What if she is restless and loud? Other people probably want to sleep during that flight...

The blessing of being with my family (mom, dad, 2 brothers and sis-in-law) is helping the anxiety a little bit - but I really am a little nervous. And it's over 6 months away!

We'll have a test-run at the end of the month when Kurt, Peyton and I fly to Vancouver. That's only a 3 hour trip. To quote Kurt: "We'll just have to have lots and LOTS of books."
... AND make sure she looks super-dooper cute, just in case she is cranky. :)
(Did I mention we're flying out of S'toon on October 31st? :-D)

10 comments:

Kim said...

Books and Snacks work great. Have something she can suck on during take off and landing to help her pop her ears.

Love the costume!

Sarah Robbins said...

I'll be praying for you. We fly a lot, and I am sure you are making it worse in your head worrying than it could possibly be. Plus- you get to go to Hawaii! That makes it all worth it!

M or J said...

How adorable! I love her costume! Animal costumes crack me up. Ashlee's going to be a dog this year and I can't wait.
I have no advice to give you about your flight. I haven't flown with Ashlee before, and I don't think I would. She is way too vocal and hyper. But Peyton might do great. Maybe bring a portable DVD player? At least you can be certain you won't be flying back with the same people you flew there with. So you can tell yourself you'll never see them again if Peyton acts up. ;)

R.A. said...

Aaaaaaactually...at 18 months you'll only need ONE book, because she'll want you to read the same book over...and over...and over...until everyone on the plane would rather have her crying than have to hear about Franklin the Turtle's First Day of School for the 500th time...

Vancouver's gorgeous! Have fun. And Hawaii!! I've never been there, but it must be lovely.

kelly ens said...

VERY exciting! and i'm sure she'll charm the pants off of anyone who thought they would sleep :)

CUTE costume!

what are you doing in Vancouver???

Mrs Manz said...

Thanks everyone! You've all made me feel so much better. :)
She flew so well back in March... but a few months have passed since then so I'm a tad nervous. :)
Just visiting family and some friends in Vancouver... I hope it rains 'cause I'm already tired of snow. (chuckle)

Carol said...

I am sure that the flying will go better than you think it might! Sounds like some fun times coming up for you. Enjoy your trip to Vancouver to start with!

Vicki said...

I bet she surprises you!! I have a friend that took her two small girls on a flight and she was SO worried and they did fantastic!! Plus, with that precious face - how could they get mad at her?? ;)
My friend's tricks were: a portable DVD player (they used their laptop), snacks, books and toys that she'd never seen before, nothing more fun that new stuff!!! :) Oh and did I mention snacks? ;) Lollipops are also good for helping the ears. And then you just can't stress about it I guess. Whatever will happen will happen! I have never been on a flight that long but I would imagine the plane will be big enough you can get up and walk with her. She'll charm everyone!! :)
How exciting - something to look forward to!!! :)

Jessica said...

Is she walking already? Hard to believe she'll be one in a few days!! Hayden and her are exactly 2 months apart! I'm sure she'll fly well, she'll probably sleep too the entire night flight..

Unknown said...

OMGosh... it's been a while since I've visited your blog. But I just wanted to stop by and say Peyton is absolutely gorgeous. I'm so glad to see that you and your family are all doing so well. Believe me when I say, when I first discovered your blog, I was overwhelmed by inspiration. I count my blessings each and every day and believe more than ever that God is GREAT!