Monday, October 26, 2009

"Still The One"

I become this man's wife 6 years ago.
I could be flippant and say, "best decision I ever made" - but I know it's a total God-thing. I couldn't have chosen so well for myself. :)
After the exhausting emotions of the week leading up to our anniversary, my husband did a wonderful, thoughtful and amazing thing: he took me away! :)
Peyton had her first overnight away from us (and did wonderfully, I might add) and Kurt and I made a getaway to Elk Ridge to stay in their (let us give a round of applause to my notoriously-frugal husband!) 4-star hotel. We went down the waterslide (the fastest one I've been on in my life), hot-tubed, ate well and (cough-cough) rekindled a little romance. It was - for lack of a better adjective - awesome.
Beautiful scenery notwithstanding, we both must have commented at least a dozen times how great it was to be with each other - and just each other. No appointments to keep, no rushing to work, no 1-year old needing attention, no meals to make... we loved every moment of it. :)

The last two anniversaries have kinda been write-offs. Obviously, two years ago we were burying Autumn, and last year we were in the middle of enjoying our newborn daughter.
Neither occasion left much time for us. And that's where it all started: becoming Mrs Manz is what put me on this life-path. There is no one else on earth so well-matched for me: no one who could have been such a comfort and joy to me over all the events of the past 6 years.

I love you, Kurt Manz. So very much. Thank you for choosing me, and living out the vows you said to me 6 years ago. Neither of us could have anticipated the valley we would walk through together - but even in the midst of turmoil (this past-week included) you are still the one who makes me smile, laugh and lift my heart heavenward. You cause me to reflect on Jesus and how good He is for giving us to each other. Happy 6th anniversary, Baby.
(Hmmm.... this reminds me I need to get these pants hemmed...)
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

Mrs Manz said...

And for the observant who are wondering: Yes, I did chop off my hair. :) Nothing like heightend emotional lability mixed with a trip to the hair salon. (lol) No regrets, though: it was time and I was in a rut. Bring on my 30th year! :-D

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary :) And I love the new 'do!

Unknown said...

Jay and I did that a few years ago and had the very same experience..what a huge blessing those getaways are. I'm so proud of Kurt for treating you like a priceless jewel! You look great no matter what length your hair is but I like the new do...mkaes me want to do something different but I've promised myself I'll keep growing it out until it's all grey. I love you both TONS!!
We're getting the kids passports - nudge nudge!!
Happy happy anniversary!!

M or J said...

How fun. I'm glad you guys got to get away - you certainly deserved it! I sure wish we had that kind of rainy weather here. I crave wintery, cold weather.

Carol said...

How nice for you both! I see a little snow on the rooftops and grass - it seems like you did not notice the cold outside though!

Lindsay said...

Happy Anniversary!

Kim said...

It's really amazing what a few days away can do for a relationship - so happy for you guys to have had a getaway. Sounds like you had a great time (cough-cough...you're hilarious Kendall!).

kelly ens said...

so wonderful! happy anniversary :)
what a memorable time away together.

Anonymous said...

Happy 6th anniversary! Looks like you all made some great memories!
Wendy

Darlene said...

So happy for you two. What sweet pics. Thanks for sharing your life with us.

Norma said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you! An emotional time but you have allowed adversity to bring you closer together rather than tear you apart. May you have many more years together.

Anonymous said...

Kendal,
Wow 6 years, has it honestly been six years since we attended Siast in year one of nursing school - time flies. Even though I can not remember the last time we spoke face to face I feel like I still know you so well and am one of your good friends. I know that one day we will be brought together again face to face to have a good laugh and share stories. I have enjoyed your amazing blog all this time and think of you often. Lord bless both of your little angels. Peyton in soooo lovely (definatly the next top model). Say hi to Kurt - congrats on Six years (Colin and I do five this feb!).

Andrea Zimmer