Monday, December 14, 2009

Home of Ch-ch-ch-champions

I'm so very thankful I don't live in Edmonton. :)

In case the link doesn't work, I'll expand.

Edmonton had the dubious distinction of being the second-coldest place on earth Saturday night. Only 2 degrees below a Siberian outpost. It was -46 Celsius before windchill. Fahrenheit? (Cover your eyes my Arizonan friends) -50.8 degrees.

Seriously? Wow. I don't feel so bad about my -26 today, even if it does feel like -40. You can convert that yourselves with my handy-dandy calculator on the sidebar if you'd like.

Or, if you're reading this within a 100-mile radius, maybe you just don't want to think about it.

:)

4 comments:

M or J said...

What the heck. I seriously cannot fathom -50 degrees. I was just bragging to Mike the other day that I've been in zero degree weather before (at that moment I had forgotten he'd experienced a Canadian winter). He scoffed and told me what it's like for you guys up there, and I just can't grasp how you live day to day. Hurray for living in the 21st century with central heat!! Does it get to a point where it no longer feels any different, say, -20 vs. -40? I would love to go up there one winter just to feel what it's like. It's been dipping down to around 34 F here at night, and I go to bed fully clothed, with my electric blanket on high. I'm such a wimp compared to you!!

Mrs Manz said...

That's right! I had forgotten he had been here in the dead of winter. Bragging rights forever, I guess. :) I love my two furnaces. And my heavy drapes that I close to keep the cold out.
To answer your question: No - after it reaches a certain point you just dress the same way - or don't go outside at all. And don't get me wrong: this is cold for ANYONE. Even if we're used to cold, this is stupid-crazy cold. :-D

Unknown said...

Ouch! I'm wincing.....

Anonymous said...

Ohhh boy! Remember you're welcome down to good ole AZ anytime :) Ps, I'm thinking and praying for you both. Our God is a good good God.
Love you, Debby Erickson