Sunday, July 1, 2007

The Dump







Guess what? My sweetie took me to the dump for the first time today. The city dump. Yes - I had mixed feelings about this adventure as well... but for the pure enjoyment of his company I thought "What the heck?" The trip was for the purpose of continuing the yard work in the front - all that old sod/dirt is being hauled away - and since we can dump "organic" material without a fee at the dump - the dump is the closest place we can legally put it.

Kurt had loaded most of it up yesterday, so that was short job to get the truck ready. It was super-warm today... so after leaving Oscar in the house most of the day (due to church and a BBQ at Cortens - see Julie's blog here), we packed him up, rolled down the windows of the truck and headed out. He gets crazy-excited whenever we say "car ride?" ... so there was no doubt about his anticipation. :)

When we first got near the place, I thought the scent was my imagination. Surely a dump can't actually smell that yucky when we're nowhere near it! But it wasn't just in my head! Ick. I won't venture to describe it - but it was not pleasant. The smell of the place along with the heat wasn't the greatest combination for this pregnant girl... but I'm still smiling - if cringing a little. (lol)
The guy at the gate played a little "Canada Day" mind game with Kurt - telling him it would be $35 bucks to dump the dirt... but then laughed and waved us through. Kurt was mightily relieved since he hadn't brought his wallet. :)

Oscar and I baked in the truck and Kurt did a quick unload. I just held my breath when I took the pictures. :) And that was it. Adventure over

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I remember taking many trips to the dump with my Dad as a kid...come to think of it, I'm not sure what we were dumping all those times! :) Anyway, I can vouch for the smell!
Just goes to show ya that time together is fun, regardless of where you are:)