Friday, August 31, 2007

Air Mattress Woes

As Christians, I really believe that the Lord brings people into our lives to grow us and shape us into people that glorify Him more and more as time passes. Sometimes they are so-called 'good' influences, and sometimes they are 'Ugh' influences... either way: loving a God who is in control means that we should be thankful for all those people and the circumstances we are put in.
Who knew putting up a simple air mattress would be such a stressor on a relationship? I could chalk it up to us both being tired, my fat feet (truly!), his being stubborn (I like that one -
heh - kidding!), and the pressure of wanting to get something done... but what it comes down to is sin.
Since I cannot speak for his heart (as tempting as it is... lol) I'll deal with mine:
pride. How ironic that we had just spent a half-hour (at least) talking about it at bible study. :) My flesh may as well have screamed: "Thou shalt listen to me!!!" (sigh)
Anyway, the details of the argument are not important... they're actually laughable in the light of day. When I took these pictures we weren't exactly on speaking terms - and the dog was left to try and cheer us both up (which added to the generalized irritation of the situation... chuckle). We've reconciled now... thanks to getting up at 4:30 in the morning (providential, no?) But here is the point of this post (directed to Kurt):
Sweetheart - what can I say? I love you even with your grumpy face. Thanks for - once again - forgiving me. Thank you for loving me despite the sin that seems to always come up between us. Our relationship and your love mean so much to me - and I can't wait to grow old with you... learning how
not to sin against one another - but, undoubtedly, still stumbling often. You take such good care of me and our baby - and Oscar - and I am daily humbled by your example of gentleness and kindness... you are a good leader. :) I'll keep working on that 'submission' thing... partly because I have to - but mainly because I want to. It is a joy to be your wife, and to walk with you on a daily basis... and even when it seems we keep tripping each other up - there is no one else I'd rather be tied to. :)

As for the rest (if you're still reading - chuckle): If you're putting up an air mattress with someone you love - humble your heart first - and maybe don't take pictures of them when they're irritated at you, either... even if they look cute with their "mad" face.
And if you have to: at least be subtle about it... lol!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oscar:

Were they setting the air mattress up for you? It's time you had something soft and cozy to sleep on, isn't it? After all, it looks like you were on good behavior :)and deserved a good nights rest!

Victoria said...

Wait til a sinful, selfish child is thrown into the mix. Then you'll really know the meaning of sanctification!

Mrs Manz said...

No kidding... yay? :)And - I guess since you're writing - no baby Swanson yet?

Anonymous said...

since I know who the air mattress was for I thank both you and Kurt for perservering and getting the mattress up.
It ended up being the best sleep Grama and I had on our entire trip!
Love you,
Mom xxxxxooooo

Mrs Manz said...

You're welcome, mom... God used your trip to grow me. :)