Tuesday, August 21, 2007

The 'Me & You Tour'

Well, my wonderful hubby pulled it off... took me on a surprise trip to "somewhere", to do "something" that I would "probably really enjoy". :) He even came up with a title: "The Me & You Tour". Sounded great to me!
It all started a few months ago when I mentioned that I'd like to go somewhere before the baby came... it didn't have to be far away, or for a long time - just some "me and you time" before it would be impossible for a while. He had kinda nodded in that way that seemed to imply, "That would be ideal yet highly unlikely." (lol) So I mentioned a few times how easy I would be to please in this case, and eventually, he seemed to believe me.
Lo-and-behold: he planned something! :) The surprise was hard to keep - and a few things slipped out over the weeks - but - overall - I was surprised and VERY pleased at what came about.
The first thing: I slept after my night shift on Friday and he did his running around to prepare - telling me that he wanted to leave by 4pm. We got away by 4:15 - not bad for me having only 3 hours of sleep. :)
We drove through a massive thunderstorm all the way in the direction of Regina (remember: I didn't know where we were going for sure). People were pulled over on the side of the road because it was raining SO hard that it was very difficult to see - Kurt plowed on through.There was a Rider game going on that night, but I was pretty convinced that we weren't going - despite all the cars passing us with flags and people wearing green. I said to Kurt, "Boy, I'm glad we're not going to the game - they're going to get soaked." He said, "Oh really?" That should have been my first hint. (chuckle)
We got to Regina (surprise!) and he informed me that we were
, in fact, going to the game. Oops. :) I hastily assured him that I was happy to go to the game, but "you do have rain-gear, right?" Of course he did - what a smarty-pants! I have no pictures of this event, because Kurt thought best to leave the camera in the car in case it rained. Boy - what foresight.
For those
not attuned to Saskatchewan Roughrider football and the game and events that made history on Saturday, let me break it down: Scroll past if you're not into football. :)

The game was close, and fast and fun - and it sprinkled on and off for an hour-and-a-half. At the start of 4th quarter (with the Riders down by 5 points), the skies opened up, lightning, thunder, wind... the players all ran off the field, we fans all hunkered down for a bit of a downpour... and then the lights all went off. Really. Over 26,000 people plunged into darkness in the middle
of a super-storm - and the loud-speakers weren't even working to say what was going on. I had visions of the Super Dome in New Orleans...
Although Kurt and I were wearing rain-coats with hoods and good quality Columbia jackets underneath, the lower-regions of our bodies were immediately soaked. The fans started chanting over the thunder, "Go Riders, Go!" We stood there, in the dark and the rain in the thunder and lightening, for about 15 minutes - before I used the "Sweetie, I'm 7-months-pregnant" card to get us out moving. Even the inside of the stadium had water standing on the concrete... so I asked as sweetly as I could to just go get dried off. When we left the stadium the lights still weren't on and we were fairly convinced (with the storm and all) that the game was going to be suspended.
We drove to Kurt's brother's house where we threw our clothes in the dryer and went to get a bite to eat: turned on the radio to discover that the game had resumed! We drove to Boston Pizza to catch the end of the game: where the Riders won: 39-32! Kurt struggled a little with having left the game - but who knew? Oh well - at least they won.
The next morning, we visited with Dean for a while (missed you Amanda!) - had a wonderful and relaxing breakfast together, and then went shopping at 'Toys R Us' where we picked out a stroller and other manner of fun-things for the baby... (we're going to create a registry there for anyone wanting to get us something but not sure what - FYI. :)) and a change-table for the nursery.
Then my sweetie informed me that we were going to see a movie together: I highly recommend 'Stardust'. SOOOO good - we both loved it and agreed it was the best movie we've seen in a long time. After that he took me to the hotel where we had the king-size jacuzzi suite booked. I hopped around that room for a while: very nice and super-luxurious. Here are some pictures:

Above: The view entering the room.

The suite with the
super-big king-sized bed! Woo-hoo!

The jacuzzi -
double woo-hoo!

The view from sitting on the jacuzzi - very nice room!
We went to The Keg for supper - quite the splurge - where Kurt enjoyed a New York striploin and I had fillet mignon. Kurt took a while to enjoy his and I took some pictures... the close-up of the steak was for my dad's benefit: Kurt wanted to share the amazing steak experience. (lol) Don't look if you can't handle red-ish meat!

We also had a great visit - talking about the day and the lead-up... just kinda renewing the sense of who we - as a couple - are. We're both very aware that things will change after the baby comes - so it was also a chance to plan and dream about what we're looking forward to, as well as what we don't want to lose. Suffice to say - The Keg saw 'mr & mrs manz' fall more in love that night - praise
God. :)

The next morning, after all that my husband had already done to make me feel like his "most cherished possession" (sighs and heart-flutters - lol) he had one more surprise for me: a card that opened and SANG (really) "How sweet it is to be loved by you", plus revealed his heart and his desires for the years to come. No denying: I cried - happy tears - but tears nonetheless. :) He said it was a challenge to write while I was sleeping because it kept almost playing... so he wrote it half-open... and it was a long card - so I was impressed. :) We had a leisurely breakfast, and pulled out of Regina holding hands and smiling. I think I floated back to Saskatoon. (chuckle)
Awww... yes - sickly-sweet to the highest heavens - but just what this girl needed to be reminded how much God gives good things... and to be thankful and not take advantage of those gifts - or one gift in particular - namely Kurt. :)

It was a GREAT "me-and-you" tour.... have I mentioned I like being married? :) BTW: I've passed the 7-month mark: can you tell? :)
Zoiks!

No comments: