Thursday, July 17, 2008

Ask...

.. and you shall receive.
This one is for you, Victoria. :)
Baby Manz is really starting to pop out!
Kurt took this last Friday morning before I left for work... it was exactly 23 weeks. (Which in our countdown means "Only 15 weeks to go!")

And to answer some other pressing questions (via the new Mrs Robbins... grin):

Work: I've been really enjoying my new job. Homecare nursing is pretty much what I've wanted to do since I entered school... both chronic and acute care - health promoti0n, education - lots of one-on-one time with my clients. I also have an amazing bunch of coworkers - both Home Health Aides and RNs. I feel like every day I'm stretched to think and function at a new level - new approaches to each person. Individuality is really emphasized - so it is hard as an RN to get into a "pattern" of dealing with people - each situation has to be assessed and each person has to be dealt with according to those strengths and weaknesses. (That's a positive thing, by the way... chuckle.) It feels like I'm finally starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together - which - in all honesty - I wondered if it would ever happen during my four long years of university. :) But I've been super-busy! I'm thankful for that, though. One of the "consequences" of not going back to work after Autumn was born was that I needed to start all over as far as Employment Insurance goes.

- For my American friends: In Canada you pay into EI from your date of hire. You can qualify for 15 weeks maternity leave and then another 9 months of parental leave (adds up to a year) if you have 600 hours from date of hire (works out to be aproximately 6 months of work). It's only 55% of your income - or a cap of $432 a week (before taxes) - but it sure helps, and it's nice to get a year off! I got my full maternity leave with Autumn, and then we decided that it would be best for me if I waited until we moved to start working again... postpartum was just too hard to think about going back to - and even on this side I am really thankful that Kurt (and all my PP coworkers/friends) supported that decision.

So anyway - with me only being casual (no "guaranteed" hours) it is still touch-and-go to see if I will get in my 600 hours before the baby is born. I'm doing pretty well - but if my coworkers don't take any more vacation I might not get the whole amount. (That's not pressure, Norma... BIG grin...) The nice thing about being an RN is that I have work options if I had to put in some time after the baby is born. And I think I can get mat-leave even if I don't start right after the baby is born if the hours get put in somewhere. So we're not too worried about that... God has taken care of so many other details (much bigger than this) that I'm actually excited to see what He's going to do.

Another life detail: Kurt is no longer working for Topigs Canada. The hog industry in Western Canada is anything but ideal - and so the week before last he received a phone call notifying him that his contract would be terminated. Initially when he told me my stomach dropped - but in all truthfulness we were expecting it - so when the news finally came it was almost more of a relief. Strange as it seems - it probably couldn't have happened at a better time. We have no mortgage, no student loans, and it costs very little to live in Leask. Plus - praising God for this one - I don't make bad money in my profession, either.
Kurt has also had plans to build a little meat-cutting place for the last few years and this is a very good opportunity to get that off the ground. So he's been working on layout plans and trying to get that ready to take to an engineering firm so he can then work on getting quotes from various contractors to get quotes and hopefully start building.
The goal - obviously - would be to use my parents pork (perfect health! no antibiotics! no growth hormones!... sigh - my thoughts on advertising in the food industry will be saved for another day...) and - in our own way - get into the family business. Again - when Kurt and I were talking about this situation the day it happened - I told him that I'm more excited to see how God will do things than concerned He won't.

Baby news: things are going really well. I'm much more tired (and stretched out!) this pregnancy - but the 8 hour shifts (as opposed to the 12s) are easier - and so is having a life. :) Enough said. She is moving like crazy - at 22 weeks she was moving strong enough for Kurt to feel her clearly - and a few days ago she was shaking around enough to move my whole tummy. I'm not eating straight sugar to get her to do this - honest. :) Last night I was pressing my tummy (okay - uterus) and she actually moved away from my hands. Interaction! :) I can't even really describe how much joy this gives me. Part of my battle is not looking at my womb as a place of death. That sounds dramatic - but Autumn died in the supposedly-safest place in the world. Each movement of this little girl causes my heart to lift heavenward in praise and petition. For the most part, God has given consistent periods of peace - and the truth to fight the fears when they come. I still appreciate your prayers so much - so thank you to everyone who brings us to Jesus - He is still proving to be so very strong.

Vacation:
Yaaaayyyyyyy!


Ahem
...

One of the upsides of working a lot is that a vacation is just that. A break! :) I'm going to sit on the beach - or in the cabin if it is raining - and read books. I'm going to talk to my mom and dad - cuddle with Kurt and sleep in. And - by golly - I'm going to glorify God for the opportunity. :) We're going to Waskesiu (national park in northern SK) where my family has gone almost every year since I was about 12 - and - for the record - I'm going to love it. We stay here, by the way. My parents are up there now, and Kiley and Jessica are going up for a couple of nights with her parents who are out visiting, and my wonderful in-laws are watching Oscar for us.
Kurt had to help Kiley with some stuff at the farm today - but we're planing on meeting Gord and Lori in Prince Albert to exchange Oscar by 5 tonight - so that gives me the day to pack and tidy before we go.
I'm excited. No... more than that. I'm thrilled!!! :)

Renovations: most of everything is done - but we're waiting for the counter tops and my drapes. Both were back-ordered. (Downside of living within the single booming economy in the country - Ugh...) But as soon as they're both installed I will put up detailed before and after pictures. I promise!

Okay - I need to go spend some time reading my bible, talking to God, and planning for the rest of the day. Thanks for your patience, everyone. I'm amazed that the visitor counter still moves... chuckle. :) My work schedule isn't quite as busy for the next few weeks (so far) so I hope to post a little more often.

Blessings!
kendall

10 comments:

Victoria said...

Thanks for the picture :). I can't believe that you've had nearly 32,000 visitors to your blog since last year. God is certainly using your story to reach many! Have a fun time on vacation and thanks for all the updates.

Anonymous said...

You look stunning! Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a lot going on. I'm excited for you guys about the possibility of starting your own business (well, connecting with your family's, but still having your own). The entrepreneur in me always cheers when I hear stories like that!

I'm also, of course, so thrilled about the baby moving so much. I never (well, rarely) complained about Dasha kicking me, because I was always so happy to have that reassurance that she was doing well. The hiccups every time I went to bed, however, weren't so fun ...

Mrs Manz said...

Yeah - I forgot to say that she was starting to hiccup a lot. I don't mind, though. :)

Beth said...

Great picture...you are looking so cute!!!!! Glad all is well!!!

kelly ens said...

what a great update! You are looking positively wonderful :) Will be praying that you are able to get enough hours for maternity leave again this time.
enjoy your time away, RELAXING!!! :)

Anonymous said...

seriously Kendall, another hot pic!

Hope you three are having a wonderful time on your holiday!

Sarah Robbins said...

You look HOT, Kendall! No wonder you hubby is picking you flowers! You're just blooming. I'm praying for you and baby. Thanks for the wonderful update.

Norma said...

We're glad to have you on the team, Kendall! I will do my best but I only have so much vacation time available! :) I'm so glad things are going well with Baby Manz - I hope and pray that it will continue so.

Amy said...

I love Kapasiwin! My fiance and I stayed there last fall, awesome! Waskesiu rocks no matter where you stay though.