Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Drumsticks

Last night Kurt prepared a delicious supper: cucumber salad, drumsticks and crinkle-cut french fries. He shake'n'baked the chicken and was quite anticipating the results. I know because I took exactly 2 minutes too long to get to the table and he called me three times. Each with increasing urgency. (chuckle)

Anyway (after I finally got there), we thanked the Lord for the food and dug in. About three bites into his chicken he asked me, "Does this chicken taste sweet to you?"

"Hmmm..." I mused, "Yeah, kinda." I'm not normally a "sweet food" person - but it was passable. That, and I was hungry.

On his third drumstick he commented again, "This really tastes sweet."

"Uh-huh." said I (I'm not a big conversationalist when I'm busy chewing fries.)

All of a sudden he stops eating and tosses down his drumstick. With a horrified expression he blurts out, "That bag of stuff you had in the fridge - that wasn't shake'n'bake was it?"

Thinking quickly, "Umm... no - that stuff in the drawer was crushed graham crackers."

E-ick!
No wonder it was sweet....
I'm sure some fancy restaurant somewhere has created sweet graham chicken and sells it for fifty bucks a drumstick - but us poor simple people from Manzville aren't ready for that kind of culinary experience just yet.

Anyway, I had a really good laugh - and Kurt managed to get over if after saying, "I was really hoping this would be a good supper." about three times. :)
The actual sign of how much he disliked it? He threw the last drumstick out. For my frugal husband he had to have been really disgusted with the results to throw out a perfectly good piece of chicken.

I hope this doesn't discourage Kurt from making supper in the future.
I love you, honey! :)

7 comments:

rick said...

Great story!

Unknown said...

Kurt, I'm still laughing!! That is too funny! But please don't take it too hard. I cannot count the times I've botched a meal for various reasons. I may try the graham cracker crusty chicken myself - I'm pretty adventurous when it comes to food. I'll let you know how it goes. Seriously, I'm still smiling...thanks for sharing Kendall..that's SO something Jay would do. I love that our hubby's even feel the desire to cook for us. How sweet are they? Have a great day guys.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry Kurt... I botched the Rice Krispy cake last night. Amy said it was okay eventhough they start little kids off on baking that cake because it is "foolproof"... I think I need to Ephesians 4 her...

Anonymous said...

Oh I LOVE this story! One time Abraham decided to make zucchini bread, but when I came home, the zucchini was still in the fridge. Turns out he accidentally used a cucumber! The bread tasted the same, but it was just nice and moist!

Mrs Manz said...

Rick: So glad to hear from you - thanks for continuing to stay "in touch". :)
Laur: the hardest part is not laughing too hard... he's so sweet and excited and it's so cute the way he is so dejected after. Oh - and I never mentioned in the post that the fries were slightly freezer-burnt tasting. Poor guy...
Mikey: Tsk, tsk... watch out for Ephesians 4 - it's got hubby stuff in there, too. ;-D
Molly: Thanks for sharing - it'll make Kurt feel better. Of course, he'll ask what you did with the zucchini so it didn't get wasted. :-D (Don't ask how many brown-ish bananas I have in my freezer placed there by him "just in case" I want to make banana bread - lol)

Mr Manz said...

Truthfully, about an hour after throwing away the drumstick, the thought occurred to me that I had thrown away a PERFECTLY GOOD drumstick. Just shows you how dejected I was feeling to forget about the money I was throwing away.

Sarah Robbins said...

Too funny! Last week, I made my husband's favorite of orange chicken. I made the mistake of using baking soda instead of cornstarch- a whole 1/2 cup! It was so terribly neither of us could eat and we threw away 2 lbs! of chicken. We're both super thrifty so it killed us!!! We're laughing about it now though, and my husband was so dear and sweet about the whole thing. . .