Friday, September 14, 2007

I LOVE FIGHTING & WINNING!!!

Now that I've caught your attention with that mildly combative and seemingly obnoxious title, I'll explain. :)

Was reading 1 Timothy this morning and stumbled upon this verse: "Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called..." that is where I started meditating, although the verse (chapter 6:12) goes longer.

Thought process was as follows: Do I "take hold" of my eternal life every day? Or do I become complacent? Simply existing in the moment and it's demands - laundry, dusting, meal preparation, money management, grocery shopping... fill in the blank. :) Like, "Yeah, I'm a Christian... I should pray. I should be cheerful. I should be patient. I should be thinking about Jesus..." but the importance of those things is strangely diminished in the light of everything else that comes up.

You know the saying, "If it is a command, it is probably not something that comes naturally."? If we are commanded to "fight" and "take hold" the implication is that God wants us to do something that doesn't happen by itself. The funny part is that my life isn't even half as hectic as some people I know (Daddy... grin!), but the same command applies to everyone who claims to be a Christian. Almost like we have the same Spirit and motivations... (chuckle)

Fighting for something is being so convinced of its value that all other distractions are ignored and battled through to obtain it. "Taking hold" is reaching out and grasping. Thinking about something and choosing to "pick it up", "tuck it near" and not drop it!

Here is where the confession starts: I haven't thought of eternal life much lately. I've thought tons about this life: the baby, the house, the dog, the budget, time constraints and demands, things I want to do, things I want Kurt to do... but the fact that I have actually been taken out of the futility of this life by a gracious and BIG God hasn't crossed my mind much. And that grieves me - because all of those things listed were given to me by Him as good gifts... and their design (as I see it in the bible) is to remind me of the Giver.

"Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called"... so what does that look like? I'm not sure it is always the same view depending on where I am in my day.

It can be that choice to not sin in my mind: if Kurt isn't (gasp!) being the godly husband I wish him to be - I can take hold of eternal life by choosing to remember that he is a sinner too - and that God picked these circumstances to grow me - and that I can grow more godly by choosing to pray for him, love him, and bless him... as Christ did toward those who hurt Him.

(Side note: that situation is purely hypothetical - as my husband would never actually do anything sinful towards me... chuckle! :-D)

Or "taking hold" can be stopping amidst the business that kinda overwhelms me and thinking, "Wait a second, Kendall... this life is not where it ends!" Bo-yah! Remembering that I had a major sin problem before God found me and opened me eyes to who He is - and that someday - really - the sky will roll back and I'll stand before Him blameless and without fear or guilt because of what He did... Okay - so, you know, dusting isn't nearly as troubling as it was 5 minutes ago. :)

Or "taking hold" can be spending time thinking about Jesus. Not just as the name I say at the end of my lunch-time prayer. Not just as a vague, flimsy "value" tacked onto the concept of Christianity that supposedly motivates me on a daily basis: but as a person. As God - who humbled Himself to take on a human form (pitiful and weak) and died a horrible death - humiliating and undignified... for me. "Taking hold of the eternal life to which (I was) called" is a lot easier when I'm thinking about the One who purchased that eternal life for me... when I wasn't even interested in Him.

So, thanks to 1 Timothy 6:12 (a): Motivations can change. Sinful attitudes can change. The "daily grind" can be bearable - even exciting because I remember the big picture... I've been called, and I can fight. It's worth it... to endure, obey and to smile. :)

For a book written for a guy, that's pretty cool inspiration for a gal who needed it right now. :) (lol!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Daughter,
Growing "up" is hard...but growing in grace and knowledge is so wonderful when it makes a difference in our behavior.
As I sit here with my overwhelming work load, I know that I have been called. It really does make a difference. I am learning to "take hold" through each challenge, and to recognize God's sovereignty in every "adjusted" plan of action, success and failure. (yes, there are failures, although you may gasp) I remember that "this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning me!"
So I say AMEN to your post. And thanks for posting your thoughts. Love you , and have a wonderful day.
Mom xxxxxooooo

Allie said...

Amen! :D