Wednesday, September 5, 2007

"The Stare"

When Kurt isn't here its kinda obvious. I mean, the truck, which usually sits in the driveway, is gone - often for days at a time. He is also not in the front yard - which he does a fair amount of lately... for some reason. Furthermore, we don't have any security stickers or signs... not that we haven't talked about it - but its been like a 'life insurance' issue for us... often discussed in the tone of "We should really-" but never followed up. (Adding that on my list to discuss - again - when he gets home.... )

("The stare")
So I, brilliant paranoid that I am, have come up with a genius solution to the security issue: every morning, I open our front blinds and let Oscar stand there and "watch" - a command we've been practicing since he was big enough to look out the window. You tell me: would you walk into my house uninvited knowing
he lived there?
(Still keeping his eye on me even though I was in the next yard.)
The interesting part about this dog is that he
likes (maybe even loves) me - and still I get "the stare". His eyes are dead - no eagerness, no animosity - just a "try it" kind of attitude. I love it!
A lady walked by while I was taking the pictures (he looks much bigger from the street but I had to fully zoom back to get it all in) and I told her I was taking pictures of my security system. She smiled at me (crazy pregnant lady in striped capris with chubby ankles snapping pictures of a house at 0800), glanced at the house, did a double-take and then said, "Oh
yeah - that ought to work wonderfully!" :)

Exactly. :)

And all the nose smears on the window might give the impression that he is wild and unpredictable - right? That's what I'll tell myself. Otherwise I just think, "Ick - wash your windows, lady. "
I took him for a walk last night and he is pretty intimidating in the dark: especially when he is protecting me from a basketball left on a lawn (not kidding - hackles up and everything) and a pile of gravel in the street. He gets all stiff, makes himself big and stares the "threat" down. I like that feature - but we'll work on discernment in the coming months nonetheless...
On another note: he runs into the kitchen every time we open the Cheese Whiz jar. Interesting Pavlovian scenario - we've been giving him his antibiotic (which he doesn't like) stuck in a piece of bread and smothered in Cheese Whiz. For a dog that loves it so much, he sure doesn't take his time... it is gone instantly. I think that maybe humans have been given the unique gift from God of being able to savor food - 'cause dogs aren't any good at it. :)
Anyway, I should go - said "security system" is waiting patiently for me to take him for a walk. It just about did him in when I went out to take pictures and didn't take him with me. :) What a suck - he's now pouting on the floor beside me.
Have a great day, everyone!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kendall

For anyone who doesn't know Oscar, yes, that "stare" should do it :)
But for those of us that do know him, he is a real "softie" - the Oscar we all love.

Puppy hugs GG M.
PS. I can tell no sleeping in for you today!

Mrs Manz said...

Yeah - but when he's protective it can be intimidating. Kiley came to the door and Oscar stuck his head out and my brother said,"Whoa... he's kinda intimidating, isn't he?" And Oscar was wagging his tail!
As for the sleep-in: it wasn't for lack of effort on my part. SOMEONE came and stared at me - whining softly (shows he really needs something)until I let him out to go to the bathroom. By the time that was done, and I had fed him, there was no point - so what the heck: take a few pictures and make a blog post. :) Such is life!

Allie said...

Heehee! Reminds me of the time we were at the Cortenses' house in Saskatoon and someone came to the door doing a survey about security systems . . . and likely trying to sell a certain type.

Guy: Do you have a security system in your home?
Mom-in-law: Yes.
Guy: And what type is that?
Mom-in-law: Sam.
Guy (writing): And is that working well for you?
Mom-in-law: Yes, thank you.

And Sam was the dog. :)

Anonymous said...

Hello Kendall: Just read your blog. Sometimes I want to envy you for your gift of words however, being a God loving women myself I am just so thankful in everything that our God has done and will continue to do in your life. I for many years pondered if I had any gifts at all and have now reason to believe that God did indeed give me the gift of compassion, something i must admit I took for granted for many years and the credit for as well. I am so grateful for the Bible and our ever willing elders who spend so much time and preperation in the word to help us less fortunate people who need someone else to filter and explain so much to us. I am very proud of you Kendall for so many things and especially in your Love of our Lord. I believe you and Kurt will be great parents and we are sure looking forward to the new arrival( A very special gift from God) I agree with your friend for those who know your dog he really is very sweet however, I would not suggest anyone try to come into your house uninvited as the that breed is very protective when it is necessary. Great work in the yard Kurt. Kendall everyond in our family including uncle Jack sends their love and asks about you always. Incidently I really do know how badly one can suffer with leg cramps as I spend many and most nights with cramps starting in my toes litterly twisting them under towards the pad of the foot and going right up to the groin. ouch ouch ouch. no relief in sight most nights. Then I think of our wonderful Jesus and what He did on the cross for us sinners that makes me feel so small for indulging in pity for a simple thing like cramps. Sometimes I am grateful because it causes me to think of God and I really do need to be humbled and remember all and everything in our lives is orchestrated by God. Oh Oh the meat loaf is ready and I haven't even got my vegs cooked for supper so I must sign off. Love you so very much. Grandma