Monday, November 26, 2007

Blessings

Since last post was about challenges - this one will list a few blessings of the last few days (Yay!). In no particular order other than the way they come to mind:
  • Several cards from friends and loved ones reminding us that they are still praying for us - especially as we were coming up to and passing Autumn's one-month birthday. They were an encouragement and a timely blessing on a few really hard days. Thank you!
  • Some dear friends from my hometown made a donation to the RUH memory Box program in Autumn's memory. That touched both Kurt and I very deeply - as receiving our memory box after Autumn died was part of what made us feel her birth was as valuable as any other... even if we were not going to take her home.
  • I got through my first post-birth doctor's appointment. It wasn't that seeing him was hard - but going back to the office where we spent so many months hoping and not even thinking that we could lose our baby was hard. Initially, I was going to go by myself - but Kurt insisted on coming with me. In the end, I am so glad he did as it was hard to be there and see all the other people with their healthy little ones. I shed a few tears, but I feel like I crossed a hurdle - and it was nice to see my doctor and some staff members again.
  • The Roughriders won the Grey Cup after 18 years! :)
  • The heat is fixed in our basement suite - this is more Kurt's blessing than mine... it's warm upstairs where we live. ;) But really - it was kinda stressing out my dear husband - and knowing it is working again (now that it is -22/-32 with the wind chill - that is -7/-18 F... fyi) is making him happy.
  • I managed to find a couple of sweaters that fit me - and will fit me as I lose (hopefully!) the baby weight. This is a huge blessing for the previously mentioned 'brutal cold' reason, as well as the fact that all my maternity clothes were summer-themed. As the hormones drop, so does the internal heat... and I've been craving some long-sleeves. This blessing, in particular, proves that I am a true female-type person. ;)
And the last one: Kurt and I have found something (I think) to spend the money we were gifted. Are you ready?

Airplane tickets.


Yowsa! If anything defines "blowing it"- that would! :)

It also works out nicely that we've racked up enough VISA Avion points to complete one long-haul (anywhere in Canada and the United States except Hawaii and Alaska) trip. I'm not going to spend too much time thinking about that particular accomplishment (!) but the trip is a nice reward. Seeing as though we have some unplanned one-on-one time, a trip would be wonderful for me - especially now that winter has hit. We're not sure where we're going to go yet... or when... but we're pretty sure that a trip would be really, really nice sometime before spring. (Which seems really far away...) And it has given me something to look forward to - because winter is hard even in the best of moods, let alone when thinking about how much more exciting I thought it would be with our daughter, you know?

So our HUGE thanks again to our anonymous donors - I hope our decision matches what you stipulated and makes you happy. :)

Anybody have ideas where we should go? :)

The view from the Calgary tower. No particular reason to post this other than I thought it was a cool picture... and I kinda hope it freaks people out initially... heh-heh! And yes - those are my feet. Lest you think me brave, however, I must confess it took me almost 10 minutes to step out on the plexiglas despite all the little kids jumping up and down on the stuff... lol!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arizona's nice and warm...hint, hint... :)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for you guys to go away! Especially since the cold winter sucks:)
I like the picture, and yes, it did freak me...very cool picture.
-shiela

Julie Cortens said...

Arizona IS nice and warm...and besides visiting all those great gals down there, if you really want to experience (and take a cool photo)standing on glass and looking down, check out the new walkway over the Grand Canyon while you are in Arizona. You can see down 4700 feet! Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Skywalk
At any rate I would head south!

Anonymous said...

Kendall, I am in cool but not freezing North Carolina and the mother of a wonderful gal in the Arizona group. I must say you are a gutsy girl (the plexiglas) and yes, Arizona would be a great place. Especially to see the new view at the Grand Canyon with your kind of courage. You have been a blessing to my spirit during your ordeal with losing Autumn. Much love to you and your dear hubby.

Unknown said...

OK, it's settled. You'll stay at my house!
Laurie