Friday, November 30, 2007

Kurt's Grandpa Manz

On Sunday, November 25th, at 2am Kurt's Grandpa Manz passed away. He is the first grandparent that either of us have lost... and it obviously comes pretty closely on the heels of Autumn's death.

The funeral was held yesterday, November 29th, in Markinch, Saskatchewan, and Kurt spoke at the funeral along with his dad.

I think that Dean (Kurt's brother) summarized what we were all feeling when he said after leaving the graveyard:

"I'm okay to be done with family funerals for a while."

Amen, Dean.

It was in some ways easier than I thought it would be... and in other ways harder. In Kurt's tribute, he mentioned the attributes he appreciated in his Grandpa - noting that he sees those characteristics in his dad as well. He also said that one of our sadnesses in losing Autumn was that we weren't able to introduce her Great Grandpa to her - and vise-versa. I wasn't prepared to tear up hearing him speak, but I did - and he had a hard time getting his words out, too. His Grandma told me afterward, "He didn't even cry that much at Autumn's funeral!" (chuckle) I guess there is some residual grief there for both of us. Not surprising, exactly - but still unexpected. Loss is loss... and it just feels like we've had a lot of that, lately.

The minister also gave a good message: encouraging the people there to consider where they stand before Christ before their time comes. Gord (Kurt's dad) also spoke so well... he really stood out to me as the "oldest brother" - and was obviously sad - but strong for his siblings, too.
Overall, it was a tiring day - but a blessing to be there for Gord, and Grandma Manz...

... not to mention seeing all those good-looking Manz and Davis cousins again! (lol!) Shoot! Kurt has great-looking relatives - male and female - but mostly male (only 2 girls in total). (lol!) Perhaps a biased thought: but I did get the cutest of the bunch! ;)Our grandparents: all of them, plus Great Grandma Manz at our wedding (Du-uh, Kendall...) Great Grandma is the one holding my hand. Grandpa Manz is on the right side of the picture, standing on the end. His wife - Grandma Manz - is the one holding Kurt's arm. We're hoping to get to go see her next week on our way to a pork show in Manitoba.

Funny story: Great Grandma Manz is actually Grandma Manz's mom. Mysterious... isn't it? This worked because her maiden name was Manz - and she married a Manz. They were unrelated - but still it makes it easy when people say, "Are you related to the (blank) Manzs'?" and I can say, "Probably." because it makes for a HUGE family! :)

So that's what else has been "up" lately. Thanks for reading, everyone. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our hearts go out to you both as you are faced with another loss. Times can certainly be trying. I don't know that we were able to share with you our sad last year. In 2006, (on my birthday and my cousin's b-day no less,sorry a little selfishness there) my uncle died (my b-day cousin's dad) and less than 24hrs later his father, my grandfather passed away. The loss was unimaginable.(although unfortunately I'm sure you both have a strong acquaintance with that feeling.) Of course not all loss is the same (sorry I don't want this to sound like a comparison)but my point is that I was able to find some peace with it all in celebrating the memories of their lives. Few or many, memories can really get us through even if they torment sometimes. Love is really the strongest power.

Wishing you a good night,
Melissa and Ward

Beth said...

Isn't it crazy how it seems like losses come in waves. I lost my grandma exactly 5 weeks after Lily passed away. It has been especailly hard on my mom, losing her first granddaughter and her mother all within 5 weeks. I had plans of going to visit my grandparents this past thanksgiving and doing a 4 generation picture with my grandma, my mom, me, and our little Lily. We did that when I was a baby. It is sad that it will never happen. It is a comfort though to think that maybe they are in heaven together. That our grandparents will get to meet our little babies before we even do. It give me peace to think about it this way, even though we don't really know what it is like in heaven. I hope that you guys are doing ok with this loss too. In some ways it is a little easier, even my mom said the same thing. She said, well if we can make it through the loss of Lily, I feel like I am almost ready for anything. Never thought we would make it through the loss of a child, but we are doing, not by choice, but because we have no choice.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful picture of your family! Hope you guys are doing good and sensing God's love and peace.
-shiela