Monday, February 11, 2008

Valley Walking

It's one of those posts....

To be honest, I've been struggling a little bit since getting home. The trip was a great distraction... I looked forward to it for a long time - but now its over. This reaction to getting home has been a tad delayed - what with going to the farm for a couple of days... but it's back with vigor. And it's Monday... which everyone knows is the most depressing day of the week, anyway. (chuckle)

For example - there have been times in the past few weeks and months where I have looked at her picture and intellectually known she was my baby... I'm sad - but not overtaken with it.

Lately, I've looked at her picture and all the memories come flooding back. Feeling her move, hoping she was a girl, washing her baby clothes and putting them in her dresser... (none of which I have removed yet, by the way.)

I look at my life now, and think, "How did I get here?" How did I end up on maternity leave, with extra weight, and stretch marks - and no baby? How did my house end up with a brightly decorated baby room - and no little girl to rock to sleep in the chair we so painstakingly picked out?

It's frustrating. Frustrating... and so, so sad.

We went on a date the other night - decided to watch PS: I Love You on the recommendation of a friend (thanks, Cherie!).

We really enjoyed it - but there is so much in that movie that hit close to home. Grief. Seeing your friends and family move on and wondering how that happens when your life is stuck. I told Kurt it feels like I fell off the merry-go-round, and now I'm watching everyone else spin around and am waiting - hoping - for my chance to get back on. To get on with life.

It's so strange. I'm happy for others - joyful, even. :) But I am so uncertain about my own future. I'm almost afraid to have hopes and dreams... for fear that my heart will be broken again. The "what ifs" can be paralyzing - and suck the joy and life out of me before I even realize it is happening. It's too easy to not to trust God - too easy to feel like He's lost control - or stopped caring. When those feelings arise I run to Him... because if they take over I am truly without hope.

Some days the desire to move on feels like a betrayal of Autumn. As though this phase of my life: her creation, growth, movement, death, birth, burial - the grief - is what my experience with her is summed up to. And, yet I can't wait to move on. It's so hard. How do I balance the war in my heart and head? How do I remember my little girl without the grief tainting the joy? How can I think of having another baby when all I really want is her? Just her.

In Arizona we found out that God won't be giving us a baby in October. I've told a few people this, but I had pinned so much of my hope for the future with my desire to have a baby in my arms on her birthday. "Then", I thought, "then, I'll be able to handle the one year anniversary..." but the Lord is not yet done teaching me what I can, despite my fears, handle by His strength.

And that, I guess, is what my heart is clinging to - yet again. The Lord is still on His throne. He still loves me. He will always do what is best for me. Jesus died on a cross so that this life would not be "all", for me. This valley feels so deep at times... and there are times I feel totally alone. But, by His grace, I look heavenward and remember that He does all things well. He comforts the brokenhearted. He was brokenhearted - a man of sorrow! He will, one day, wipe every tear from my eye. Some days it feels like that will keep Him very busy! (small chuckle) He is not disciplining me, or laughing at my expense. This is just what is best.

If you are so inclined - I would really appreciate your prayers this week. On Friday, it will be one year since we found out we were expecting her.

I have to shake my head when I remember... because I want to scream at the Kendall of February 15th, 2007, "Don't hope! Don't be excited! Don't dream about her!"

But then I take a step back and remember the blessings and joy that the pregnancy brought about. The Lord planned this for us. I have to be honest with myself about those emotions - to walk through them - but not be overtaken by them. So hard - but so worth it.

Her death has had such an impact on others - I know that. Would I take that away? I love the Lord more because of this. He sustains me - Jesus is real to me. This, also, is a place I would not have been had this never happened. This is true.

Nevertheless, Friday might be kinda difficult. I could use the support... (small smile)

PS: As I was finishing this post Kurt started the central vacuum downstairs (cleaning the furnace filter because of an odd, burning kind of smell...). Oscar ran into the office to protect me. Or vise verse. (lol) His hackles are up, and he's staring at the door as though Genghis Khan were about to walk through it. The Lord is gracious to give me a smile. :)

Thanks - again - for reading, everyone.

17 comments:

Dianna said...

Make sure you go to my blog for news.

Christy said...

I will be praying for you on Friday Kendall!

R.A. said...

Kendall,

Thanks for correcting me on my blog! I can't believe I made that mistake. I've been faithfully reading your blog since November and KNOW your husband's name is Kurt, so I have NO idea why I put "Keith" down. So sorry!

I was more than a little surprised when I saw you, commenting on me! I was on the phone with my sister and just stopped, totally distracted. Like I said, I have been faithfully reading your blog for months now and having you comment on my blog was akin to having C.S. Lewis reach down through time and send me an email.

Your blog has been so encouraging to me. This past fall was a difficult time in my life, also. I found out a friend of mine, whom I'd been on several dates with, was a pedophile, two dear friends lost their husbands, and the man I wanted to marry broke my heart. Needless to say, I was wrestling with a lot. Then my friend Michelle said, "You HAVE to read this blog..." We read it together, cried together, and then prayed for you guys.

Since then your words have been such an encouragement and you and KURT have been a great example of how to turn to God in times of sorrow and suffering. Thank you for faithfully posting your thoughts and your wrestlings. I know this has been so, so hard for you, and so I continue to pray for you and your husband.

Thanks again for posting on my blog. It's nothing compared to yours, and really the only reason I keep up with it is because I have a little Japanese friend who likes to read my hastily written poetry.

You're a blessing to many! Thanks again,

Rachel

Anonymous said...

I will be praying for you Kendall. I was looking at Autumn's picture you had in your bible on Sunday and remembering holding her. Thank you for sharing her with us. I love you.
Jess

Heather said...

Kendall, today I read your blog and cried tears for you and the little girl you will not get to know. I understand the pain of new "missed" due dates, the "if only I could be pregnant by ..." and the guilt that comes with wanting to move on ... but knowing you don't ever want to forget those precious little lives. I will be praying for you on Friday, I can only imagine what a difficult day it will be. I know for me the only thing I have to hold on to is knowing that God knows ... and that he still has something for me, even in the midst of grief and feelings of hopelessness.

Dianna said...

I will most def. pray for you on Friday and even will make mention of you in my prayers yet today. You truly are a strong spirit filled woman. I love how you love the Lord!! Don't ever lose your zeal for Him. Cast all your cares upon Him, For He cares for you! How true and what a comfort to know that!Keep on praising Him. Keep on shining for Him. Keep on encouraging us!! May God bless you and enfold you in his arms tonight.

Vicki G. said...

Kendall,
I will be praying for you this week. I wish I could take your pain. It is hard to see you walking through the fire, yet, this is the essence of faith, isn't it? Walking through the pain based on what we KNOW, not on how we FEEL? I pray that when your "joy comes in the morning," it will be all the sweeter because you pressed on, keeping your eye on the prize.
I pray you will find some comfort and help in those who have gone before you, like Heather (who is my cousin, by the way). I will pray that anniversaries like Friday will be less and less painful.
I am so thankful to have met you while you were here in AZ! You will have to come back, though, because I never got to meet Kurt (I did see the back of his head :-)I heard he's hilarious.....
Anyway, thanks again for sharing your journey. Much love

Janelle said...

Another day, paints on the face
That they expect to see
It's not all I want, but it's all I've got to make this world believe. Nothing's wrong with me

I'm an artist of emotion
A master of deceit
And the many faces I portray
Are nothing at all like me
How I long to be free

From this never ending maze
Oh my head's in a daze
Every time I think
From this overplayed charade
Oh my heart's gonna fade
And I can't go on

It's a tug of war, each moment
To hide this pain inside
Or to open up and spill this cup
Of feelings that I hide
But what will people do
And what will people say
When they hear the truth will they turn and run away
Will they throw a stone or lend a shoulder to lean on

It's not fair, I can't take this anymore. All these tears have drifted me to shore. Is there hope for someone just like me. And I hear a voice inside me say
"I can set you free"

From this never ending maze
I will be your strength
If you let me lead
So just, take my hand and see
If you fallow me
You can be free

- Charade. Amanda Falk -

Susan said...

Kendall, I will pray for you this week. Thank you so much for sharing when you are hurting, isn't that what we are here for - to encourage and pray for one another? If you don't share, we who are not in the midst of it do move on, and we so want to help carry your burden!
I love you and Kurt.

Unknown said...

Look at these comments Kendall...even now God is lifting you up...even now! I am blessed by the love these people are showing you. That is God's will for you. We will be praying for you Friday and (Lord willing) every day.
I've just GOT to meet Oscar some day. :)He seems like my kinda dog.
Love you...and Vicki Kurt IS hilarious. But it's not the put on kind of funny it's more subtle...
Kendall, I'm very much looking forward to your blogs as a mom. As I was reading through the comments Jack peed on the floor in the office. As as I sit here typing he's sitting on my lap wiping snot on my shirt. Yes, you have such good perspective and are so eloquent I think once you're sleep deprived and constantly wiping spit up and other things (speaking of other things - something smells funny) from your clothes you'll have some great and REALLY funny things to say.
Our God is sooo good. Not just in the sense of doing all things well but in the sense of kindness. He's kind and though he knows losing Autumn is very hard for you He also knows what He's got coming for you. And rest assured it's good!!!! Don't fret my friend...you're in the best hands!!
Oh, and by the way, I LOVE YOU!!!!

VanEeBoyz said...

Kurt and Kendall,

As I am writing, I have been listenig to the music you have on your blog.. Cry out to Jesus...
My heart is hurting with you... I will be praying for you on Friday. Dates are very difficult, and I know that it's the in between days that can be just as hard. May God continue to wrap His arms of comfort around you both as your heart hurts for your little girl Autumn. I pray that God will not replace -NEVER- but fill your arms with another child for you to love. Thank you for sharing your hurts and joys. You are a blessing to so many Kendall.
I am praying for you right now..
Nicole

rick said...

Hi Kurt and Kendall:

Thanks for continuing to share posts like these. God has been teaching me so much about His magnificent grace over this past year, and your story has been one of those things that God has used to show me just how far His grace can (and will) reach.

We'll probably never meet (in this lifetime), but isn't it awesome to know that the family of God prays for each other... rejoices with each other... grieves with each other. Our God is truly awesome.

Anonymous said...

found your blog via Alivia's. praying for you. trusting God to give you exactly what you need to get through every breath.

God Bless You
Holly
western PA

Beth said...

Will definately be praying you and just wishing I could give you a big hug. (((((hugs)))))

Beth

ByHISgoodGrace said...

I agree with my friend Beth...I too wish I could give you a hug (Beth too!)
But, I am praying for you guys and lifting up your name and your lives to God.

Kiley/Jessica said...

well my sister, I want you to know I love you... This is my first time, as you know posting on your blog. i'm sorry for being so busy with my life to not give you more time. I've been thinking and I would really like to spend more time with you... just you, like we used to. I would really enjoy that. I wish there was more I could 'do' for you, but I know that our God is great, and faithful, and he will never abandon you. For that I am thankful. I too will be praying for you, this friday, and actually right now as I write this. I look forward to seeing you soon, my dear friend and sister...
Love Kiley

Anonymous said...

Kendall & Kurt,

I have been, and will continue to pray for the both of you. I have been thinking about you lots. The time has come for you to start going through those "firsts". They are not easy, I know, but you will get through them...God will help you. If only there was a manual. I too wish that I could give you a big hug right now and in the days to come, but just know that you will be in my thoughts and in my prayers daily...I feel your every hurt.

Dear Autumn,

Your mommy carried you for 9 months. She was so proud and excited about the day she would once meet you. The day finally came and you decided to go home to Jesus before your eyes could ever meet. Please keep a special place in Heaven for her. Let her know that you are there with her in sporot each and every day. Allow her to find peace and comfort knowing you are walking with Jesus. Send a little reminder to her every so often to let her know you are happy and walking in pure happiness.

Mommy is very sad right now. She wished she had many years with you here on earth. So please understand her tears. She loves you and knows that when she cries you know her voice. Thank you for being there to hold her hand and to wipe her tears away. Most of all thank you for being her gaurdian angel...there to carry her through another day.