Sunday, October 21, 2007

Our Baby


First, we have to say a huge thank you to all who have dropped off cards, letters, flowers, sent emails and replied to our blog post or asked for prayer for us on your blogs. We are humbled at the grace and love others have shown to us over the last days... we're praising God for all of you.
First of all our daughter's vital statistics:
Autumn Elizabeth Lee Manz entered the world at 6:31 am, October 21st, 2007. She is named in honor of both her Great Gramma White and her Nana... she was to have been the 4th generation on my side of the family.
Length: 20 inches
Weight: 7 pounds, 5 ounces
Her hair is dark brown with a hint of auburn, although her brows and lashes are a fine blond color. Her eyes - when opened gently - are a soft, rich blue. They reminded me of a kitten's - never having been exposed to the light, they were a tad fuzzy - but so huge! She has her mommy's nose and cheeks, and her daddy's lips and chin. The perfect mix of both of us. According to her daddy, she also has mommy's "stubborn forehead"... whatever that means! :)

There is no other way to say it: this time has been so hard for us. We are parents of a beautiful little daughter... and it was such a gift to hold her and touch her. She is absolutely perfect: with no physical defects other than skin that was starting to dry and a head that was shaped by the path "out"... and as we held her and looked at her the suspicion was that she would suddenly take a big breath... but that was not to be. And the gift of yesterday was that we were able to hear babies crying next door as we held our dead daughter and feel joy for their families instead of envy or bitterness.
God allowed me to suffer - quite so! - for a short time as my labor progressed extremely rapid... from 3 to 10 centimeters in one hour! But for the last hour I was able to have a perfect epidural and be not only aware of all that was going on - but remembering and experiencing it without the mind-numbing pain that characterized the first 4 hours. The only hard part of the epidural: having the sensation that I needed to push as the nurse, anesthesiologist and Kurt all said, "Don't move!" :) There was minimal tearing and therefore the need for minimal repairs, and I was able to hold her immediately after her daddy had his first go... and then came my tears - along with more of Kurt's, the nurse's, and our doctor's. As she (our nurse) left for shift change, I grabbed her hand and said, "Thank you for crying with us" which made her choke up again... but to have other's grieve with us was such a neat experience. It added value to our loss and showed preciousness of Autumn - that even strangers would mourn the loss of her tiny little life.

She was (amazingly) still very pink, and so soft and warm to our touch. I thought that pushing out our child who would never cry out-loud would be agony: pain both physically and emotionally... and yet God gave us such grace even in that! It was so peaceful, so gentle - and when our doctor told us "You have a beautiful little... (big pause) girl." We looked at each other with smiles: at last we knew her name! :)

Oh Autumn: we waited so long for you! My precious little girl! Your little heels kicking my ribs gave me such delight - and the knowledge that God was there when you left us allowed me to still delight in their perfection rather than agonize over the futility of perfect little feet that will not serve their purpose. The truth is that you will never toddle towards me with clumsy-little steps. Your eyes will never light up as you recognize me or your daddy. Your tiny fingers will not learn to tie your own shoes. You will never learn to write your beautiful name - which suits you so - in childish letters, or draw me pictures that cover my fridge.. :) You will never say "mommy" or "daddy"... but today... holding you and understanding that you were and are real made that okay. Because you are such a gift!
I know we'll fight to maintain joy: and sometimes (probably even often!) we will stumble... but you will also be our baby for all time. The child we will never have to worry about. If God give us other children, we will be able to tell them, "Your big-sister Autumn made mommy and daddy able to love God so much more - and give you more love than would have been possible had she not existed."
Some members of our family were able to come and spend the morning with us: able to cuddle and hold Autumn and that gave Kurt and I the feeling of not being alone. A reason to reach out to others: to consider other's grief as well as our own. So thanks, family! God used you to keep us happy today - and to save us from a spiral into indescribable pain with no hope. :) Kurt, in particular, who had waited all these months to hold her, got to spend hours just sitting and rocking his little girl until he had his fill. My only grief is that his "daddy time" was over with Autumn almost before it began... and that is something I put before my Lord with a quiet sob.

The nursing staff were so compassionate! God chose to give us two nurses who also had stillborn babies in the past. Their empathy was so real and tangible that there was no doubt they would do anything to help us through this. They took her measurements, clipped a lock of hair for us - took her foot and hand-prints and encouraged us to spend as much time as we wanted to Autumn. Not only that, but He also allowed the baby-boom to slow for one day: and we were able to spend unlimited time with our family first, and then by ourselves with Autumn in the room she was born in - nearly 12 hours from start to finish. What a kind God! :)

So for all who have been praying for Kurt and I over the last few days, and continue to do so: we cannot express our thankfulness with mere words! By your prayers, we have been given the strength by God to do what was unthinkable only 3 days ago: come home without our precious baby... and still smile - for real. :)
His grace alone helps us to stand... and we want to seek after more of it as the shock and uniqueness of these days wears off and we must face a new future without Autumn as we had dreamed.
Kurt is exhausted - he did an amazing job of giving me strength while still letting me and others see his grief. I love him more than I ever have and am filled with wonderment as I have seen him truly become a man who signifies strength and graciousness. He has borne more than many do in a lifetime in these past days - and Christ shone through him as I heard him cry out to God with pain and then smile for this opportunity to suffer for His sake. :)
I am physically drained and sore beyond anything I have ever experienced (even with the epidural). We both need to rest - and yet do not want to become inward focused and depressed. That risk is very real. Even tonight, after everyone had left, we wandered around the house thinking, "Now what?" So please continue to pray for us until this week is done in particular. We want Autumn's funeral to be a place of joy and God's glory and we know that will still require more of us - which will require more of God's strength. Fortunately, the Giver can give in a limitless way and never run out. :)
Thanks everyone.
Much love -
Kurt & Kendall

29 comments:

Cherie said...

Kurt & Kendall
You have been in my thoughts and prayers all day, and as I checked your blog, I have been able to see your beautiful daughter "Autumn". What a beautiful name. Thank-you for giving us a glimpse into your day. As I look at her, the tears stream down my cheeks, and as Ben plays guitar in the backround, the song's words say "I will see you again". How ironic, yet, how appropriate... We will see your daughter again. God is amazing and through this devistating loss, I believe we will each see him more clearly. We will continue to pray for the both of you and your family.
Love Ben & Cherie

Anonymous said...

Dear Kurt & Kendal,
I want to start off by first letting you know how much Amy and I truly love you two. Between you two, Mad Gab, Red Russet Potatoes, and Oscar, we have so many cherished memories, and we are so joyous in knowing that we have a common fellowship with you in and through the blood of Christ. We will keep praying for you - and please know that you two have really shone as a testimony and have proved to be great encouragement in these past days.

No one understands like Jesus;
Ev'ry woe He sees and feels;
Tenderly He whispers comfort,
And the broken heart He heals.
"No One Understands Like Jesus"

With Much Love in the Love of the Savior, Mikey & Amy

Murray said...

We love you, Kurt and Kendall. Your sharing of your life with us in this way has caused us to love Jesus even more!

Much love,
Murray and Cheryl

Mrs Manz said...

Cherie & Ben, Mike & Amy and Murray & Cheryl... we love you all so much! Thank you for caring about us and our baby... your compassion and encouragement (great hymn Mikey!)are something that God is using daily to get us through this.

Brad and Karla said...

Kurt & Kendall,
I heard about your sad news this morning at church from Sheila and have been praying for you ever since. You have been in my thoughts all day and also decided to check your blog. Your courage and compassion amazes me. I want you to know that we are praying for you and thinking about you and will continue to daily. May God bless you for being so faithful and in awe of him. I pray that you would give yourselves all the time to grieve that you need and that you will continue to rely completely on God's strength as I know you are now.
Brad and Karla Koehn

Anonymous said...

Kendall and Kurt,
We grieve with you deeply as do all that have been touched by your frendship, love and testimony. It amazes me that in the midst of such a tragic loss, you have been able to feel God's amazing peace, graciousness and love....only our loving God would be able to lift you up and cradle you in His comforting arms, just as you cradled your daughter. What precious moments He gave you today. We will continue to pray for you and your family, that God will continue to comfort you, give you strength, allow you to grieve, give you joy, and feel His presence as He walks with you in the coming days, weeks, and months. As many have said, we love you guys so much. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything.
Love,
Shiela, for the Mathies'

Anonymous said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with you Kendall and Kurt and your families. Your faith and strength is a huge testimony to many. Thank you for sharing your heart and may God continue to strengthen you in the days ahead.
Katrina (Van Ee) Funk

Anonymous said...

Dear Kendall and Kurt,

Our heart goes out to you in the loss of your beautiful and precious daughter, Autumn.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Thank you for sharing Autumn with us.

Much Love
Uncle Bruce and Aunty Maria

Angie said...

I have not met you, but I have heard your story from a few different people. My heart goes out to you and your family. I could not imagine losing a child. I will pray that God heals you and gives you strength in the following days. Autumn is such a Beautiful name. And the pictures are so beautiful. And its nice to hear how nice and compassionate your doctor and your nurses were. There are some truly amazing people out there..i'm glad they were with you that day to help you through everything.

Anonymous said...

Kurt & Kendall,

Thank you for opening up your heart and sharing last few days with us. Words cannot express how sorry we are for your loss. Little Autumn is so beautiful and I'm sure you will always cherish the time you were able to spend with her. We love you guys so much and will continue to keep you in our prayers!

Love, Pam & Patrick

Joan said...

Dear Kurt and Kendall,

We heard about your loss today from our pastor's wife, here in Washington State, via Ken Miller. I am weeping with you as I read your blog. We lost a little girl (Amanda Joy) at 25 weeks gestation in January 2006, and your blog has brought back so many memories - even the Scripture verses that you have been pondering have been the same as some of the ones that I and my husband, John, clung to. Know that you are in our prayers, and Kendall, I would love to correspond with you via email after things settle down for you, if that is something that you want. I know that I longed to talk to another believer who had experienced a similar loss in the days after we lost Amanda. My email is jmdlovesjsd@yahoo.com. Also, www.mend.org (Mommies Enduring Neonatal Grief) is a Christian website with a newsletter that really encouraged me. Your little Autumn is just beautiful - what a precious little girl! May our good God comfort you, and may you feel His presence through this very painful time. In His Love, Joan D.

Janelle said...

My heart sank today as Pam told us of little Autumn. we are so thankful that you were able to hold her, and see that beautiful face. I KNOW that my Father will hold you, protect you, carry you on the days you are not sure you can go on, surround you with love & peace...you two are so strong...and I can't WAIT to meet little Autumn one day in Heaven.

"Glory Baby, You slipped away
As fast as we could say baby, baby
You were growing, what happened Dear,You disappeared on us baby, baby

Heaven will hold you before we do
Heaven will keep you safe
Until we're home with you Until we're home with you

We miss you everyday, miss you in every way
But we know there's a day when we will hold you, we will hold you
And you'll kiss our tears away, when we're home to stay
*We can't wait for the day when we will see you, we will see you
But baby let sweet Jesus hold you, until mom and dad can hold you*
You'll just have heaven before we do
You'll just have heaven before we do

Sweet little baby, it's hard to understand it
Cause we are hurting, we are hurting
But there is healing, and we know we're stronger people
Through the growing, and in knowing

All things work together for our good
And God works his purposes
Just like he said he would, just like he said he would

I can't imagine Heaven's lullabies
And what they must sound like
But I will rest in knowing
Heaven is your home
And it's all you'll ever know, all you'll ever know"

(Glory Baby - Watermark)

Julie Cortens said...

We continue to weep with you and pray for you. Thank you for sharing these precious pictures! Call if you need anything!
Love you both!
Julie and David

Trev and Rebekah said...

I'm a friend of Janelle's. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I can't imagine. I pray that you two will only find strength from God and that your marriage will stay strong. I pray that you will find rest too.

VanEeBoyz said...

Kurt and Kendall,
Our hearts are heavy with grief with you over the loss of your precious Autumn. What a beautiful little girl. May God wrap His arms of comfort around you both,and hold you in His arms, just as He is holding Autumn now. Praise God for your strong faith, and your reliance on Him. May you feel His presence in the difficult days, and months that are to come. II Cor 1:2-5, were a real comfort to me. May God be with you. Thank you for your joy through your sorrow. You have blessed my heart, and renewed my faith.
Love in Christ,
Dennis and Nicole Van Ee

Kelsie-Lynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Kurt & Kendall,
Such beautiful pictures of Autum. Our hearts are breaking with sadness and yet we marvel both in the miracle of birth and the love and attitude from both of you. You know we can't find words of encouragement, maybe there aren't any but please know we are both praying with you and crying with you. We all know that tears are a language that God understands. May the love that you have for Autum even grow in the days and years to come.
Love Auntie Bev & Uncle Larry

Vicki G. said...

Kurt & Kendall,
You have been and continue to be in the prayers of my family and our church family these past few days. I have read your blogs through tears and have grieved with you thanks to your transparency. Your love for the Lord shines through, inspiring me to love Him more in my own life. Thank you for openly sharing your journey with Autumn. We will continue to pray for you both.
Love, Vicki & Mark Gilbert

Allie said...

Dear Kurt and Kendall,

"The LORD your God is with you,
He is mighty to save.
He will take great delight in you,
He will quiet you with His love,
He will rejoice over you with singing."
Zephaniah 3:17

I just know God is rejoicing over your faith. I am so glad you are being encouraged by so many people, and I truly believe that you are encouraging everyone else just as much as they are encouraging you. I am so amazed and humbled by your great faith and trust in the Lord.

We are still praying for you and I'm crying with you too.

Love,
Allie

Carolyn said...

I have only met you a few times, but I wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers. It makes me so sad to hear of your loss.

Unknown said...

Kendall,

I continue to pray for you and Kurt. Your daughter is beautiful, as is the faith of her parents.

Unknown said...

Kurt and Kendall,
Oh my heart hurts so much for you. Yet from the beginning we were told you wanted to be a testimony. God has done so! I am so humbled, amazed, encouraged by your experiences with our Lord through this - you have worded the times so eloquently and truthfully.
We will continue to be praying.

Anonymous said...

A truly beautiful Autumn.
You are both in our thoughts and prayers. We greatly admire the bravery you are showing as you share your beautiful little girl with all of us.
Thank-you.

Melissa and Ward

Thelma Findlay said...

I wanted to share something someone shared with me when my dear Dad passed away several years ago - and I hope the link of words brings some joy to you as it did to me.

Perhaps God is a Poet

Who writes with words of flesh and bone and leaf and flower. Every hour of every day. Words por out of the poet's heart, and every word is beautiful and true and worth the telling. And when each poem is perfect, and there is nomore which ought to be said, the poet gently takes the words back into his heart, wherer they are safe forever ... and then begins again.

God Bless you both as you travel this journey in your life ... and God Bless precious baby Autumn.

Thelma
Winnipeg

Anonymous said...

Kurt and Kendall,
We are crying with you, and praying with you, and for you and your family. She is beautiful. God is using you powerfully. He truly is our Hope. May He be close.
Our love and prayers,
Adam, Amy and Elise

Anonymous said...

Dear Kurt and Kendall,
Although I have never met you I have had the pleasure of getting to know your Mom and Dad Manz as I live in Melfort and teach with Gord. We held all of you very close to our hearts this weekend and will continue to do so. I was very moved by your words. Thank you for sharing your story and your beautiful daughter Autumn. Gord has shared so many wonderful stories about his family...today he and Lori came to Brunswick to share their love for Autumn. I was pleased they did so, and it felt good to have them speak in words such as you have. I felt their love for their family..and for Autumn. Again thank you for sharing your story. Your strength ands words are an inspiration and I will continue to pray for you both, for Autumn and your family. May you find continued strength, healing and support in one another, through your friends, family and in memories of your beautiful little girl.

Jodi

aka Dragonfly Photography said...

You do not know me, my sister is an internet friend of yours and posted a blog that led me here to your amazing words. I keep writing and deleting and writing again. Through the tears of understanding I read your words. The heart struggles to express emotions that co-exist. How can anyone doubt the love of our daddy God when you see the glimpse of perfection in His creation. And yet there are tears for the live that we on Earth will miss so deeply. I know that you know others have walked this road. Some as mothers or fathers, some as Aunts or Uncles, some as Grandparents, others as dear friends. I walked this particular path with a friend who is a sister to my heart. We had talked of adopting her little one long before we found out God would take her home too early instead. I know the blessing of compassionate nurses, and my special box has photos of that precious little girl born at just 19 weeks gestation. Photos that show her perfect fingers, toes, and eyebrows. I have footprints of her tiny little feet, and the words to the Steven Curtis Chapman song that was sang at her service. I guess I just wanted to write you and thank you for your honest reflections, for sharing the perfection of your daughter who will know no sin, and for being such incredibly humble servants. I know that the road is so difficult to navigate, and I'm so glad you have a family of believers to walk beside you.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kendall & Kurt
I am so very sorry for the loss of your precious little girl. Tears are streaming down my face, wishing I could take away your pain. Know that I am and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You two are so brave and courageous at this time. Take care of yourselves.
Your fellow NEPS gal
Melanie

Anonymous said...

I found your blog randomly. I just want to say I just cried for you 2 and your baby girl Autumn. I am so sorry it ended that way, but you 2 could not have written a more sweet post about her life. Bless you all this Thanksgiving.
11/25/2009.

-T.